Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 06:24 AM

Default 5/10 Stud Hand

To be perfectly honest I haven't had much experience playing short handed stud before. My opponent really confused me on this with his double stop n go. My read on him is a aggressive trickster, who may or may not be good.

UB 5/10 7 card stud high (4 handed)

3rd street:

A: [x,x]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Daddy: [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
B: [x,x] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villian: [x,x] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I complete the bet. B folds. Villian raises. A folds. I call.

4th Street:

Daddy: [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian: [x,x] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Check. Check.

5th Street:

Daddy: [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian: [x,x] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet. He raises. I call.

6th Street:

Daddy: [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villian: [x,x] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Check. Check.

7th Sreet:
Daddy: [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet ??? Villian calls.

I guess the main question is the river. Was I correct to bet here? Aside from the K which he may or may not of had, none of his upcards were higher than my nines.

What do I do if he raises? I gotta call right?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Stud Hand

I've never played on UB, so I don't know the general level of play.....

With that said, I like the river bet. It really looks like you're ahead on 6th (since he'd have to be a real moron to check behind you twice with Kings or a wired pair over 9). And even if he makes two small pair on the river, it's hard to imagine getting raised. Also, it's very possible that he'd call a bet w/ AK high, thinking he has the best hand.

I wouldn't like it, but I'd call a river raise.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 AM

This does not look like kings. Perhaps he raised on third with a smaller pair than nines, or raised fifth with a four flush.

Whatever, I would bet sixth and check the river. What can he call with that you can beat? What will he fold that beats you?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:13 PM

when he checked on fourth street he obviously doesnt have K's. His most likely hand is a small pair or worse (!). since he raised on fifth street he could have a flush draw, i would put him on a pair of 6's with a draw or a small pair and no draw. i would bet the river as well since he will call with many hands you beat thinking that you could bluff. in general if you check twice during the hand there is a good chance he will assume you are bluffing.

by the way why didnt you bet on fourth street. i would bet here almost always in a short handed game. there is a good chance that he raised on third hoping you might fold since often the highest card will raise or reraise. so if you bet and he raises you can fold or at least have a better sense of where you are in the hand.

Pat
Old 07-14-2004, 12:44 PM

I agree that the list of better hands he would fold is either slim or none. Still, I can see a call with some inferior hands (pair < 99, Ace high) happening often enough to make a bet worthwhile.

Anyway, even if the villian hit a small 2 pair, he'd have a tough time raising the river since he's against a overpair that very easily could have improved.

I'm relatively new to stud, so feel free to point out flaws in my logic! I think I play a tad aggressive, so this might be an example.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:05 PM

Obviously not Kings I would assume from the play of the hand. Four flush on 5th is quite possible, as is a smaller pocket pair than your 9's since he opted to check 6th. Someone in a post said possibly the 6 hit him for a pair of 6's? So he started with something like (A6)K? I doubt it.
Despite the other posts I've read suggesting you bet the river like you did, I totally disagree. What do you gain by betting the river here? What is he paying you off with that you can beat? If it is a diamond flush draw he mucks or raises. If it is a pair lower than your 9's I cant see how he could pay off your river bet given your board. This is a classic situation of where you should just check call. I believe you will win more in this situation by giving your opponent the opportunity to take a shot at bluffing if he wants. Especially in 5-10 where many opponents love to do just that.

Mike Emery
Old 07-14-2004, 07:07 PM

I'm confused too. I think I bet fourth street, unless you really thought the other guy was going for a check-raise. I think I check the river and hope to catch a bluff (and that the hand he's bluffing with doesn't beat your lousy pair of Nines). Do you think he's capable of raising the river as a bluff? Not many players are, but given the somewhat erratic manner in which he played this hand, it must be possible. You're getting about 9:1 if you call the river raise, right? I really don't think you'll have the best hand 10% of the time.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:13 AM

Default Results

For those of you interested, Villian had a pair of 6's, with I think was a 4 flush draw (not quite sure) and MHIG.

A lot of you advocated betting out 4th street, which I will take into consideration next time. Is it because he picked up a 2, while I picked up a big card? Or was it because I'm ahead, or is it because I want to see what he'll do?

After he checked behind on 6th street, I was quite positive he didn't have kings, as he wouldn't dare miss a chance to collect a bet from me, so I bet 7th street expecting to get the better of it enough times to make it profitable.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:11 AM

Default You cant bet the river.

Chris,
You were very lucky to get called by a pair of 6's when you bet the river. In this case it did pan out and you got an extra bet. However, after you aquire some more stud experience I hope you will agree this is a senseless bet. I'm shocked that several people have agreed to liking your river bet with 9's as well.
You played the hand fairly aggresively. The only thing that slowed you into a checking mode were your opponents raises on 4th and 6th. Now add to this the fact that your board is a confident looking 9 J K 8, and I dont know how your opponent can call with 6's. I read some posts from people saying they liked the bet because it might get a call from a pair less than 9's (against a good player I cant see it given the play of the hand) or even AK high! (This isnt Holdem).
It seems like a lot of people are thinking in terms like this: "Ok, He checked right behind me on 6th. My nines had to be the best hand going in, and are therefore probably the best hand on the river. Therefore I bet!" Wrong way to think on the river.
Heres what I believe is a more logical way to think on the end: "Ok, I've shown a fair amount of strength and have a pretty powerful board. Is there any hand he would call with that my 9's can beat? Not likely. Is there any hand that my 9's cant beat that he will fold for a bet here? Not likely. If I check could I induce a bluff? Very Possibly. What if he's on that 4-flush? He raises if he catches. No, my best option is to just check and call if he bets."

Mike Emery
Old 07-15-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: You cant bet the river.

Mr. Emery,
The only "sensless" thing I've seen on this thread is your post. Based on results alone, the river bet that Cool Daddy made was not out of line. Furthermore what you should be calling out is his check on 4th street. The way his opponent played the hand is indicitive of a small pair, looking to buy the pot/free cards. While checking and calling is a viable option on the river, its not the only option as we have seen. I'm "shocked" that you could be so riddiculous in your assesment of this hand, and I think that after some more experience you will agree that you are indeed and idiot.

-Dimitri