Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Ranting about reads.

Having solid reads on your opponents will make you a lot more money than if you simply treat them all the same.
The point being, every decicion you make should be modified by how your opponents play.

Example:

You have KK, the flop is A97, you bet out and 3-bet when it came back, the turn was another 7, you bet and where raised.
Now, the river comes K without a possible flush, there are 2 opponents left. You are in the BB, UTG and the button (who raised you on the turn) are still in this hand.

How do you play this? The answer is that it depends on the style of UTG and button. If UTG is loose and are willing to cold-call, a checkraise will get the most money into the pot. If he is thighter and will fold to this, yet are willing to call a single bet, you will however make the same amount of money by check/calling, and loose one less bet when you are behind.

Will UTG call if you bet into him and thus allowing himself to be trapped by buttons raise? In that case you have another way of getting everyone in for 2 bets.

The point being, every decicion you make should be modified by how your opponents play.

Is the button an autobetter and you flop a vulerable top pair in a large pot as SB? Then you can check-raise and narrow the field.

Is BB an autoraiser in the same situation when he was agressive preflop? Then bet into him and have him narrow
it for you.

Are you heads up with someone who will call you down with any part of the flop? Maybe you shouldnt bet your overcards so hard.

Is the person heads up going to autobet if you cease the initiative and check to him? how does this affect your play when you have top pair? inducing bluffs are attractive here. how does it affect your play when you havent? That would depend on another aspect of his play, his willingness to call in heads up situations with nothing.

The list is eternal. The point being, every decicion you make should be modified by how your opponents play.

Exploiting the texture of the players still remaining in the hand at all times is one of the most important skills you can learn. Try to analyze how your opponents will react at all times, how this will affect the other players and how this again affects your winnings. If you do, you will make more money and your reads will improve, giving you yet more money.

One last example:

Your opponent has been in this ringgame for 2000 orbits now (long game phew), he has bet twice in that time, never raised. Repeatedly he has called people all the way showing a superiour hand. You flop a set and when the turn comes (showing a possible flush and a possible straight) he bets into you and 3-bets your raise. The river does not pair the board. You do not call his river bet.

k
Old 07-13-2004, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Ranting about reads.

You have KK, the flop is A97, you bet out and 3-bet when it came back, the turn was another 7, you bet and where raised.

How did you make it to the turn? Why did you three bet? What was the preflop action? What type of table was it? How big was the pot? How many saw the flop?

You flop a set and when the turn comes (showing a possible flush and a possible straight) he bets into you and 3-bets your raise. The river does not pair the board. You do not call his river bet.

How big is the pot?

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-13-2004, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You flop a set and when the turn comes (showing a possible flush and a possible straight) he bets into you and 3-bets your raise. The river does not pair the board. You do not call his river bet.

How big is the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly the point, barring any special circumstances where you can win a $2M pot by calling that $2 bet, the size of the pot does not matter. If you call this at 25-1 you are loosing money.

k
Old 07-13-2004, 10:11 AM

You ever get played because people can reverse this and play into you representing hands if you are so sure of your reads aiming only at the very large pots?

I guess I'm talking about semibluffs where they might continue on river cause they think you won't call.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You ever get played because people can reverse this and play into you representing hands if you are so sure of your reads aiming only at the very large pots?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about very passive players here, I think I have yet to see one 3-bet as a bluff. As for anyone else I will play according to what they are capable of doing in that position.

You CAN in theory trick me here, if you play very passivly all the time and make this move once we are heads up in a large pot, then you take it down. But consider how many value bets and raises you have to give up to maintain your cover and that plan crumbles pretty quickly.

k
Old 07-13-2004, 10:44 AM

Hey guys, this could very well be a extremely useful thread for beginners as a study of reads vs. Game Theory-type play, or something like that.

If this thread gets the right replies, this could be one of the most important threads for a newbie. I know understanding this topic would have accelerated my poker learning by hella lot when I started.

But being pretty fresh myself I dont think my thinking has matured to the point where I can give solid guidelines to approaching these situations. Could some of you old hands care to help out? It would be well appreciated.

Something about pot odds, Ed Miller, and game theory right [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:53 AM

Okay, first of all, these examples are all horrible.

Why am I 3 betting KK on an A board? I'm betting when the 7 hits since...the turn counterfeited his 2 pair so I'm now slightly less behind on paper? Testing if he has a full house or not? Really feel like losing more money? On the river, I'm trying to lose less when I'm behind with the second best full house? When the straight hits and Ultrapassive bets into me, I'm raising him because...etc.

Gah.

Also, if you never fold a set at Party microlimits, you're playing correctly.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, this could very well be a extremely useful thread for beginners as a study of reads vs. Game Theory-type play, or something like that.

If this thread gets the right replies, this could be one of the most important threads for a newbie.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense to kenewbie, but I suggest you forget about this thread. The concept is good, but the examples are iffy, and could cause more confusion than they cure.

Again no offense to the OP, I see where you're coming from.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:39 PM

That's what I meant. The OP shares the same feelings that I had coming into poker and starting out playing .50/1. When I posted a bunch of hands and people basically told me to play in a way that mostly wasn't based on reads, I was able to improve significantly. I was able to take my play from weak tight to, dare I say, almost tight aggressive. Obviously I'm no expert yet, but I know that this one lesson I learned from 2+2, to play optimaly without too much concern for reads, has probably helped me more than any other specific poker advice.

People posted good replies to the hand I played which was like this situation( Flopped Set turns into Tricky situation),and I was hoping they would do the same in this thread where the "defendant" kenewbie shows his thought processes.

If we could get this cleared up for new players and 2+2'ers their microlimit path may be less rocky than mine was.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That is exactly the point, barring any special circumstances where you can win a $2M pot by calling that $2 bet, the size of the pot does not matter.

k

[/ QUOTE ]

You are literally saying that you can be so absolutely confident of a read that your opponent will not act differently one in a MILLION hands? That's a MILLION hands in which the player reacts exactly the same way to the same circumstances.

When you find that table and feel that sure about it, please drop me a line. For now though, I suggest you take a look at Caro's law of loose wiring.