Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Completely idiotic play?

I'm playing a 4-handed NLHE game with 0.25/0.5 blinds.

This is an aggressive game with a lot of pre-flop raising, and I'm dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. CO calls (a TAG), I decide to limp, thinking I'll be facing a raise from the BB (who is LAG). Typically, I play tight aggresive, so this is a little departure from character, but I know the BB likes to raise w/anything (and actually plays a pretty good short-handed game because of it), and I'm thinking I'll reraise him. The SB (tight, reasonably solid) completes, and the BB just checks.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. It's checked to me on the button, and I decide to check along with my trips.

Turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It's checked to me again and I bet $3 into the $2 pot. SB and BB fold, CO reraises to $6. He's TAG, so I think he's trying a resteal. I go all-in for about $15 more, and CO immediately calls.

River is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but it's inconsequential, as he's already shown Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the nut straight.

So here are my thoughts. 1) I should have raised K9 preflop, since it's a pretty good hand with a TAG limping and two weaker players after - I may be facing a raise from the BB, but he's LAG and I'll reraise to isolate him. He's been raising and checking the flop since people dropped from the table, making it short handed. 2) I can't remember if it was Brunson or Sklansky & Malmuth, but NEVER slowplay trips. I violated my cardinal rule on the flop and trapped myself. 3) What do you think about my reraise on the turn? 4 handed, I figure there's no way he has QJ, and is probably representing that (or another K) while actually hoping I'll fold to his gutshot Qxs or Jxs.

Thanks!

tree