Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Question for those with High SAT scores

I'm mostly looking for feedback from graduates of MIT or Stanford. If you went to an Ivy League school or one of the better state Universties your opinions will be considered as well.

The CO is pure maniac. He raises every pot he comes into and continues to bet and raise after the flop with any old hand.

I don't have much of read on UTG+1. He keeps making comments about the hands that the maniac is playing, but he is playing a lot of hands as well.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Maniac bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Maniac 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Maniac 3-bets</font>

Have I made any mistakes so far?
What should I do?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Question for those with High SAT scores

Old 07-13-2004, 12:25 AM

U of Michigan and Stanford, since that's what you're looking for. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] . But not yet the school of Hold'Em hard knocks, at which I am but a struggling freshman. That's a lot more important when weighing my advice!

I'd probably have capped the flop.

As to the turn, UTG could well have limped with A7s, in which case you're in a heap of trouble. Worse still, he could have 44 (or K7s, or even 77), and was just laying back on the flop, knowing that the maniac would bet it up for him and planning to bet it up on the turn.

But as he may be loose as well, he could well also have come in with KJs/o, KTs (or even as loose as KTo?), perhaps A4s or 99-88, and might have played this the same way. There're a lot more of these than the monster hands above, and you could very well still be ahead. But you could have to put in as many as 7BB to showdown, and that seems like a lot even for TP#2K. Cap if you think you have them beat (don't forget that sometimes maniacs have hands!), but I'd probably muck it and that's probably weak. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 12:31 AM

Well, since you asked:

I say you should cap the flop, seeing as UTG+1 is along for the ride. Grab control of the hand on the flop since you're out of position for the rest of the hand, and extract more from his straight draw/weaker pair.

I'm not sure I want to call 8 bets on the last two streets to see the river, but I'd consider calling the 2 cold if indeed he is a maniac (to see what the SB is going to do, cap or call).
Old 07-13-2004, 12:32 AM

Hey Max,

I have a high school diploma, if that counts for anything...

Mistake #1: You should've 3-bet PF here as not only is your hand best, but you have some sort of chance to get headsup with a relatively premium hand versus a horrible player. Yes, your position sucks, but other said factors more than make up for it.

Mistake #2: Capping the flop is better than calling and betting the turn.

GoT
Old 07-13-2004, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mistake #1: You should've 3-bet PF here as not only is your hand best, but you have some sort of chance to get headsup with a relatively premium hand versus a horrible player. Yes, your position sucks, but other said factors more than make up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on how likely the other players are to fold ... if the whole table is on tilt, that chance might not be very high, and he might be better off keeping the pot a bit smaller, and cashing in on an almost certain check-raising opportunity on the flop if it comes favorably.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:45 AM

Hey Nate,

You're right. If you have no chance of getting HU, then you may be better off keeping the pot small. But if there is even some chance of the limpers folding for two more, I think he has to 3-bet.

GoT
Old 07-13-2004, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Nate,

You're right. If you have no chance of getting HU, then you may be better off keeping the pot small. But if there is even some chance of the limpers folding for two more, I think he has to 3-bet.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, on second thought I think I probably prefer a 3-bet. If he were in the BB, the decision would be closer.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:57 AM

Cap the flop, your call and bet out is a call and cop out. Three-bet preflop if you think EP will fold to two more cold.

Turn. I think I would fold here, but a lot is based on your feel for what EP is capable of given the maniac in the hand.

Once again the preseason prognosis is the same, "too many Mary's, not enough William's"...
Old 07-13-2004, 03:23 AM

I think you should clearly 3-bet preflop. You should also have capped the flop.

Eh, I was gonna explain why, but I'm going to go to sleep instead. Maybe you can tell me... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]