Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Is playing with play money a good way to get better

Hello. I am a player at TP who plays real money tournaments there. When I'm not playing over there, I usually spend the rest of my time playing with paly money at the site called PokerFunClub, which uses the same software as TP

My question is: Does playing with play money help you get better. Some of the players at PFC play as well as some of the real money at TP. But most of the time, since its not their money, people will play extremely loose and crazy, especially in the limit holdem tournaments. All comments welcome.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Is playing with play money a good way to get better

[ QUOTE ]
since its not their money, people will play extremely loose and crazy, especially in the limit holdem tournaments

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the common problem. However, it should not stop you from being able to play good poker. It does offer a fine oppertunity to improve on many sections of the game. Such as: reading the board, pot odds, starting hands and position, etc, etc. Some can even say that overall experience, be it a poor game or not, is still worth much in many ways to an imporving player.

It can also be a great place to learn how not to play from examples made by other players. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2004, 04:54 PM

It's been my experience that play money tables aren't a good barometer for solid play. If anything, play money teaches you how to play against the loose players with the added benefit of not losing actual money.

I thought the same thing once. At party I figured I'd learn SNG's by using the play money first. Total night and day differrence. Play money SNG's start off with at least 3 or 4 allin preflops on the very first hand. Not so with real money SNG's. That would be the quickest way to lose, but with play money, why not? Also, most play money tables are pretty much filled with people still learning the game. Too bad they see the maniacs and think that's how to play good poker.

So if you really want to get better, stick with real money games. Use the play money tables to test out things that you think are too risky to your bankroll.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:51 PM

No. Play money tables will get you used to the mechanics of the software, and the poker playing procedures. If you are a complete novice, they will give you a little practice. Any time spent over a week or so, playing those tables is a waste of time. You always have pot odds to play anything, people always pay you off chasing with nothing, etc.
Spending more time at those tables will teach you more bad habits than good ones.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:45 PM

No, play money is a completely different game of poker. Honestly, it is completely different from real money play. If you want practice, just stick in $10 and play penny poker. I'm sure if you lose your entire buyin it won't be the end of the world, but you will be wasting your time playing play money tables, as it will be of no use if you ever plan on playing in a game for real money.

EDIT: I didn't read your entire post and noticed that you have played real money online before. Regardless, stop playing play money games as "practice
Old 07-11-2004, 10:34 PM

I played play money tables for a long time before I bought in for real money, and I think it helped me a ton.

Maybe I'm weird though.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:53 PM

dead on. Only good enough to get a feel for the software and poker procedures (or to steam off). If you want to learn the game, there should be something at stake. Even nickel games will be far better and provide some learning oppurtunities.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:37 AM

Anyone who says play money is way different so you can't learn from has obviously never played in more than one type of game in which they have to adjust to.

I played there for 3 months before becoming a real money player. Just find the games in which they aren't totally insane and it's a very good learning tool.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:18 AM

I started with play money on stars before I put any real money in. IMHO the low limit play money tables are pretty useless, but the 200/400 limit play money games are actually quite similar to $.02/.04 and .05/.10 real money games. Alot of people are still kinda loose/retarded, but since they can only rebuy for 1000 chips, they play somewhat like they would in real money games.