Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 03:21 PM

Default 2/4 nl 6 max, 24o

2/4 prima nl 6 max. both have 400 stacks. i have 24o in the BB.

one limper, and the SB folds. flop is 234, 2 spades. i pot for 10. limper raises to 20. whats the plan for the flop?

assuming I just call the flop, whats the plan for the turn? if just an overcard falls? if a spade or 4 to a straight falls?
Old 07-11-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: 2/4 nl 6 max, 24o

9 spades, 3 aces, 3 fives, 3 sixes, 2 treys

A lot of cards that will [censored] up your hand out of position. I'd reraise, and bet a little less than the pot on the turn no matter what card came. If he reraised all in on the turn, you might be able to fold depending on what card it is and your opponent.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:07 PM

I mean, if he raises all in on the turn, you should strongly consider folding your hand.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:54 PM

Tough one, cornell.

First off, you definitely want to call here. With the 100x stack sizes and the relatively small pot, there's still a lot of room to play here, and I'd like to see a safe card on the turn before going further. If you reraise here and he smooth calls, you are in tough shape going into the turn, especially if a scare card hits. Your hand isn't good enough to stack off here, but it beats some hands that he'd be raising the flop with (overpairs and semibluffs, most importantly).

So, on the turn, check-folding to an ugly card probably isn't the end of the world. If a safe card comes, i think leading out vs. check-calling vs. check-raising is player dependent and based on what range of hands you think he'd be raising with here. If you think he's semibluffing the flop, then leading out can be effective- his card didn't come, and you are potting it again, so there's a decent chance you could take it down. If you think he has an overpair, you could check/call twice. And check-raising could be worthwhile too, if you'd like to just take one last shot at it and be done.

In general, the more you think he has a made hand (regardless of whether it wins or loses) the more you'd like to check/call to keep the pot small and see the showdown. If you think he's drawing, you'd like to play more aggressively and make him pay for the last card. From that perspective, its also a question of whether he'd continue betting with his semibluff if you checked to him on the turn. (If yes, then maybe c/r, if no, then bet out).

So this is pretty tricky. I guess I'd lean toward calling the flop, check-folding to a scare card, and betting out on a safe card. In that last option, I'm folding to a turn raise, and probably check-calling the river if he calls.

Oh, and just in case this wasn't complicated enough, a flop c/r is yet another way to play the hand. But i digress...

-muz
Old 07-12-2004, 08:26 AM

Bump. You guys should be putting way more effort into this hand since it's a very interesting hand.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:57 AM

I'll give a bit more info about this game and my game. I am generally a pretty aggressive player, preflop and postflop, but have only been sitting here about 15 min. No reads on the player in question. Also, remember that this game is 6 max.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:48 PM

gotta put him on a hand. he minraises to 20 straight, laying you 4 to 1 with 380 behind. pot will be 50 bucks when you call. he could be looking to build a pot and not scare you, or he could be looking to check the turn. possible hands are: 55-TT, flush draw, 33. I think a mid pocket pair is pretty damn likely here.

if he's a solid player I have a hard time giving him a straight or better two pair. most solid players won't open limp with those. you didn't mention what position he's in relative to the blinds. if he's in EP then I give him a pocket pair or big suited cards a lot of the time.

what about a stop and go? depending on what he has, almost every card in the deck will either slow him down or let you get away from your hand. I like calling and then leading on the turn almost no matter what. the problem is, if he is drawing, you don't really know what he's drawing at. he is going to have a hell of a time raising you without the nuts.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-12-2004, 12:55 PM

i would 3-bet. i think the most likely hand for him to hold is a flush draw, so you want to charge for that. you may also get some more info from a reraise so you have a better idea of what scare cards should really scare you. one problem with 3-betting is that if he reraises it won't be clear whether he's overplaying an overpair or really has the goods (a5s, 56s, 33). i'd still reraise it and plan to fold to a push.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:58 PM

The fact that it's a 6 max table would worry me a little here... The raise on the flop means one thing to me - probably Ax spades for a flush & gutshot str8 draw. You're horrified of A5s, obviously, because that makes the wheel (and I'm notorious to losing to miracle wheels like this). Calling the flop isn't a bad idea, and leading the turn isn't bad (no matter what comes) - if a spade hits, you can get away from the hand if he raises (or maybe even if it doesn't hit - A5 in a low limit 6 max game is a decent hand). All in all, I'd say take one more stab at it and then get the f*ck out before you piss away too much of your stack. Maybe you can check the river to showdown, but you're out of position... it sucks, but save your stack for later - this one's just too costly.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:05 PM

I'm interested in knowning what Richie Rich does! C'mon Richie post.