Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 01:22 PM

Default PartyPoker is funny

1st I'm in a tourney (just a 20+2) on the 3rd hand 4 players go all in. Not in this order but they had:

P1: AA
P2: KK
P3: QQ
P4: JJ

what are the odds on the same hand?

Later I'm in a ring game (I like to give back my tourney winnings for some reason....) I get 4 straigh A high flushes and the table starts to clear. It's not me its PP! what are the odds? Also why is it that toward the end of tourneys if P1 has a large stack and P2 is short and goes all in I always see something like this

P1: J8 off suit
P2: AK

Flop: J83
Turn: 7
River: 8

Maybe its just me. But I've started to save all these in PokerTracker and no way its random like it should be. And I've been on both sides of those...
Old 07-09-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker is funny

Have you purchased your Pattern Mapping Device yet? Essential for all Party Poker players!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:36 PM

I'm funny? But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st I'm in a tourney (just a 20+2) on the 3rd hand 4 players go all in. Not in this order but they had:

P1: AA
P2: KK
P3: QQ
P4: JJ

what are the odds on the same hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to take a guess that it's:
1/221*9/221*8/221*7/221 = 504/2385443281 = 1 in 2.113E7

So... this probably happens a somewhat regularly on PP? I've forgotten how many hands they supposedly deal out every day, but surely it's not that long before they burn through 21M.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:42 PM

Last night in a satelite for the PPM Semis I was involved in a hand with three separate people doing a call-reraise preflop. What are the odds of that?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've started to save all these in PokerTracker and no way its random like it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if that NEVER happened I'd be more inclined to believe that it is not random. Party deals 3438295728578391423 hands a day. This is bound to happen at one point or another. Stop whining.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:48 PM

Default ...and this was a home game

This is just poker, its funny sometimes. You just see sooo many more hands online, that you are bound to see some crazy things.

This hand happend at my home game two nights ago.

Folded to me in MP.
I raise to $7 with AKo
LP calls.
Button calls.
BB reraises to $25.
Everyone folds.

Hands:
Me: AKo
LP:AKo
Button:KK
BB: AA

It was a weird laydown by the button, but we all saw eachothers hands.
Had this happened on party it might have been a four way all in, with everyone talking about how rigged the sight is immediately afterwards.

Needless to say, the BB was fuming that none of us called.

fsuplayer
Old 07-09-2004, 02:45 PM

Actually it's about ten times more likely to occur (you forgot to multiply the odds that a person has AA by ten). Doing that gives you 473301:1, which is only an approximation. To get an exact you need to use the inclusion exclusion principle. I think the exact answer is 294363:1, but my math could be off.

aloiz
Old 07-09-2004, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've started to save all these in PokerTracker and no way its random like it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if that NEVER happened I'd be more inclined to believe that it is not random. Party deals 3438295728578391423 hands a day. This is bound to happen at one point or another. Stop whining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its an observation not whining. I'm going to archive all my tourneys for the next few months reagrding 1 of the issues I posted. I hope the numbers will be random...but if not I can avoid it...thats all! I guess some people have to put there own twist on anything they read......
Old 07-09-2004, 05:06 PM

Just remember that in the branch of mathematics called 'Probability', everything happens. It has to. Otherwise it would be called 'Guesstimation'.