Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Is this just variance or is there a huge difference from 1/2 to 2/4?

Ok, mostly I'm just looking for someone to tell me it will be OK, but after a successful run at Party 1/2 and sufficient BR, I moved up to 2/4. My first two 2/3 sessions:

192 Hands - 8% Won - 42% SDW - 30% FS - 27% WWFS - -39.5 BB
248 Hands - 3% Won - 42% SDW - 21% FS - 15% WWFS - -74.63 BB

In session 2, I went 101 hands without a win. AA got beat by 93o, KK got beat twice, and QQ went down to a river A. The bad beats I can expect and accept, but am I just not ready for 2/4 or is this just one of those things that seems worse than it is because the amounts are twice what I'm used to? I don't want to chicken out after two bad sessions, but it seems like a trip back to 1/2 may do my confidence and BR some good. I averaged 3.5 BB / 100 at 1/2 so I'm not sure that I am going to get any better playing there.

Suggestions?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Is this just variance or is there a huge difference from 1/2 to 2/4?

How many hands in that 1/2 WR?

115BB is a chitload, but without hand histories who knows?

There IS a pretty big difference in play, FWIW. However, if you think the probability of AA getting cracked by a calling station has anything to do with the betting limit or your skills, maybe a move down is wise...
Old 07-09-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Is this just variance or is there a huge difference from 1/2 to 2/4?

A 114 BB downswing is big, but we've all had them before. It just sucks that it came as soon as you moved up.

If you were good enough to beat 1/2 consistently, then you ARE good enough to beat 2/4. There just isn't hardly any skill difference at all between the two levels. So, you need to figure out if you were actually a winner at 1/2. How many hands did you play at 1/2? You say you averaged 3.5BB/100. If if you've played 20k hands, you're a winner, and this is probably just a downswing. If you've only played 5k hands or so, you might not be a winner at all.

The bottom line is, if you're uncomfortable losing that many BB at 2/4, a move back to 1/2 sounds like a great idea.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Is this just variance or is there a huge difference from 1/2 to 2/

[ QUOTE ]

115BB is a chitload, but without hand histories who knows?

There IS a pretty big difference in play, FWIW. However, if you think the probability of AA getting cracked by a calling station has anything to do with the betting limit or your skills, maybe a move down is wise...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the relevant question is, given the action, could he have *noticed* that his AA was obviously beat and not lost as much money -- making these kinds of decisions are definitely what's hardest for me as a beginner.

I.e., I know I'll get rivered sometimes, it's part of the game. But every time it happens to me I try to review my play and figured out if I just played the flop/turn wrong and could have prevented it (or gotten out), and these are definitely areas where I need expert advice.

But that kind of judgement is obviously impossible to make without a hand history.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just under 9100.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:32 AM

I've noticed more difference from 1/2 - 2/4 than any other limits.

Not much you can do about those 3% days.

I can usually eek out a small win/loss at 7-8% win rate. 40BB is a big loss. I'd guess you are chasing the wrong pots.

You can play both games. You don't have to jump right into the 2/4 exclusively. You'll figure it out soon enough.