Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 10:09 AM

Default PP 3 Table Tourney Hand

Still within the first hour of a PP 3 table tourney, we're down to twenty players, the three tables just got consolidated down to two. I didn't save the hand history so I'm doing this from memory:
I'm medium-sized stack (about 2200). Thus far, I haven't really gotten great hands, and have built up my stack mostly by stealing blinds and bullying people out of pots with okay hands like TPbadK or middle pair. The Button player has a huge stack (about 9700) and is being a tremendous bully. Anyway...
I am in the BB and I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Two limpers to me. I make it 3xBB more.
Both limpers (EP and button) call. And three of us see the flop:

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet the pot. EP folds. Button raises.
I put him on KQ, KJs, KTs or something similar, and figure since I've got him beat...
I push all in.

What do you think?

Here are the results... (in white)

<font color="white"> Button calls, showing the 4 and 5 of spades. Turn card is 9 of spades and I'm out of the tourney.

Should I have not messed with a big stack like this? Should I have feared the flush draw more? I thought folding when I was sure I was ahead (far ahead I'd thought) would be too weak and I thought this was a great opportunity to get some chips from this loose bully. What do you think?</font>
Old 07-08-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: PP 3 Table Tourney Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on KQ, KJs, KTs or something similar, and figure since I've got him beat...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there was a similar situation discussed yesterday, except the question was whether one should fold trips to a flush draw. (The consensus was "No.").

This is a good push IMO. If he's playing Kx, you're in good shape. (The problem, of course, is if he's loosy goosey, and playing K7, you're in trouble.) If he's on the flush draw he's a 2:1 dog to make it, so you've got the numbers odds to call. Add three outs for the str8 draw, and he's getting 12:47 times two, which isn't a whole lot better.

This may be a FTOP issue: If he had flipped his cards and then bet, would you have called? He's got outs, but you're still the favorite.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may be a FTOP issue: If he had flipped his cards and then bet, would you have called? He's got outs, but you're still the favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to say my answer to that is yes.... but maybe there's something to be said for being more conservative in these 3 table tourneys.....

I wonder if the analysis would be any different if Button's post-flop raise was enough to put me all in?? I'm thinking that I still go all in and call the raise.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:09 PM

I think your preflop raise is a bit small. With AK after limpers, I usually make a larger than pot-size raise. It sounds to me from your description that there's 3.5BB in the pot when it gets to you and you make it 4BB to go. I would probably make it 6 or 7 BB to go. That may or may not have deterred callers in your case, but I think the larger raise allows you to narrow down the type of hand that will call.