Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 08:02 PM

Default help against a LAG

This was originally posted in the poker theory foruum but I was told that Mr. Schoonmaker and the people who hang out at the psychology forum could answer my question:

I play my friend headsup winner-take-all for small amounts of money. The problem I have playing is that he's very aggressive and bluffs very often. I have slowplayed him and won before but when I'm not catching good cards it can be a while before taking a big pot.

My major problem comes when I have something like medium pair medium kicker and he bets large, something around 4x or 5x the big blind on the turn and river. He bluffs so often its hard to call him down on the turn and river. I'm only comfortable playing my top pairs against him, but I don't get top pair very often heads up.

Whenever I get a good hand (for heads up) like K10 or better, I raise the pot, but if the flop is rags he'll bet enough out on me to force me to fold much of the time.

What adjustments do I need to win more against this type of player? Calling and raising seems fine only in limit hold em, but in NL I tried this and it hurt quite a few times. What kinds of hands do I need to play? What strategic betting adjustments need to be made? Also, what can I do to stop his behavior or in any way alleviate my situation? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: help against a LAG

LOL. You're just getting pushed around. Grow some Huevos.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're just getting pushed around. Grow some Huevos.

[/ QUOTE ] How about a serious answer?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 PM

The short handed section of HPFAP points out that the LAP's style shifts from a liability to a huge asset as the number of players decreases. Heads up, he will murder you, especially in NLHE.
The ONLY thing to do is DON'T PLAY HIM HEADS UP.
I am NOT fooling.
He will run over you.
Sorry to give you such discouraging news, but, unless you are willing to change your style completely, don't try to play him heads up.
I must add that hardly anyone can make a complete change in his style.
You and everyone else has to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your natural style, know how to change it, but accept that your ability to change is almost always limited.
Smart players choose games they can beat. Dumb ones kid themselves about their limitations.
Regards,
Al
Old 07-08-2004, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you are willing to change your style completely, don't try to play him heads up.
I must add that hardly anyone can make a complete change in his style.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm just a beginning hold em player, so is there any greater chance for me to change my style since I haven't formed one completely yet?

Also, isn't forming a style part of how you become a good player, when you have to unnaturally learn to become a tight-aggressive player?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:15 AM

I don't understand why Theory sent you to Psychology. This is not a psychology problem. Based on your description you are playing mathematically incorrect poker (game theory). You are not calling enough to prevent some variation of an always-bet-without-looking-at-your-cards strategy from being +EV against you.

The good news is that this is a technique problem and not a style problem. You have a shortcoming in your understanding of HU NL hold'em. You don't know how to play this situation so that you negate and exploit his strategy.

To do list:

1. Don't play this opponent for meaningful stakes until you learn what to do.

2. Learn to recognize similar situations where you are failing to cope with an opponent and run away from them.

3. Realize that correct play against this player will probably involve +EV but very high variance. Fighting over-aggressive players always does.

4. Find someone who really understands NL hold'em and get them to teach you what to do. This could be a very hard thing to learn. You may need to learn a tremendous amount about poker to develop all of the necessary coping skills. Unfortunately I do not play NL and cannot help you get started.

Key point: if his strategy isn't happening on TV it means that good players are able to cope with it. You can learn to cope too.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:27 AM

"I must add that hardly anyone can make a complete change in his style"

C'mon Al. Poker is all about understanding the underlying concepts enough that one can play any style. Being able to adapt to your opponents and make any necessary adjustments is exactly what people should aspire to. One may prefer playing in a loose aggressive game, but should strive to be equally adept at shifting gears and correctly exploiting a tight passive game.

It's exactly the kind of mindset in your post that stops people from playing shorthanded. They get up when it gets down to 5 or 6 players. This not only costs them big time when shorthanded situations arise in their full ring games, it also costs them the opportunity to take advantage of profitable shorthanded situations that may arise.

This isn't football, where you can't teach someone to run a certain speed, or baseball where some just can't hit a fastball. This is poker, and anyone willing to put forth the effort should be able to learn the underlying concepts of the game well enough to apply those concepts as needed in changing game conditions. I'm surprised to see such a defeatist attitude in your post.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:29 AM

I don't see why this is in the psychology forum. I think you simply don't know how to play heads-up.

Your standard for calling is too high.
You aren't raising frequently enough preflop.
You aren't paying attention to pot-odds.
You probably don't bluff enough.

You are losing because you are being outplayed. Do you understand his strategy? Throw it back at him and your results will improve to 50%. Improve on his strategy, and you will win more than 50%. Pretend it's a full table, and you will lose, lose, lose.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:36 AM

Perhaps people should be able to make large changes in their styles, but the evidence is very clear that most of us cannot actually do it.
You and I and everyone else are what we are because of our genes and a lifetime of experiences. The mere fact that our minds tell us that we should do this or that does not mean that we will be able to act out of character.
Of course, people vary enormously in their ability to adjust, but EVERYBODY has limitations. It is a form of denial to pretend that you don't have them. And denial is deadly.
You used a strong term, "defeatist attitude." The central concept of all my work is that people must be realistic about themselves and everything else.
You have been exhorted repeatedly to deny reality. You and many other Americans have been raised on a steady diet that it is manly to deny reality. "The team that won't be beaten, can't be beaten." "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." "The bigger they are, the harder they fall."
All of those slogans are utter BS, and they are extremely destructive for poker players. Our game allows us to choose when and where to play. In fact, the single most important decision we make is game selection.
If you choose games well, you will win.
If you choose games poorly, you will lose.
It really is that simple.
When the going gets tough, don't see it as a challenge. GET OUT.
Regards,
Al
Old 07-08-2004, 06:39 AM

Excellent post. Very impressive.