Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Party and the Old \"Bet into you on the Turn (after calling Flop)\" Move

I don't think this hand is particularly interesting. It's just an example of something that seems to happen a lot at Party. They'll call your bet/raise on the Flop then lead out on the Turn *A LOT*. I saw it twice at an earlier table that same night.
And I'm wondering how people deal with it there.
FWIW I know it's de rigeur to Raise in this spot. I believe that is because at Party people who do this are much more often full of [censored]. It's definitely something I'm going to have to get used to. Also I'm curious what you do if you Raise and get 3-bet.

Anyone who can give me a rundown on the lead the Turn move at Party and what is usually means could really help speed up my adjustment to it there.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ...

Fold/Call/Raise and Fold to the 3-bet/Raise and Call Down/Make a noise like a Chicken?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Party and the Old \"Bet into you on the Turn (after calling Flop)\" Move

I raise here. I don't know if this is unique to party...but players love to take shots at the pre flop raiser until they see an A, K, or Q. It's almost as if they take offense that you raised pre flop...quite bizarre. I think this bet is a pair of 8s or tens, or a semibluff.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Party and the Old \"Bet into you on the Turn (after calling Flop)\" Move

Raise, imo. As you've pointed out, the typical PP player's turn bet doesn't mean a whole lot. I still think you've got the best hand here. The ten somehow made his hand? If he really had a monster, wouldn't he go for a check-raise?

If it's 3-bet, I call and check/call the river.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:08 PM

Easy raise. If 3-bet, call down. He likely thinks you were trying to buy a free card on the flop for unimproved overcards.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:10 PM

I'd raise and call down a 3 bet. Against some predictable players if you don't improve to at least 2 pair you could probably fold the river. I'd guess something like A8 here, hopefully not T8.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:13 PM

someone in the mid stakes forum described these pointless stop and goes as a "pleading call to get raised" - typically because they want information. If information is what they want, raise them and they shall get it.

It is far more effective whent they pull that stunt on the river.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

he picked up a flush draw. raise.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 PM

Raise, John.

He likely has A8 and has put you on a flush draw.

BTW: The link to you avatar-phot is broken.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-07-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Party and the Old \"Bet into you on the Turn (after calling Flop)\"

Reminds me of a hand I had when in the big blind in Vegas a few days back... not quite the same, but it did remind me of a question for similar situations...

I guess I question what you think about this turn bet (or just the betting and raising by UTG and CO limiting the field on the flop in general) if UTG has a hand such as 34 hearts or 67 hearts with the flop provided by the original poster? If UTG is sure the CO player is playing a hand like JJ, KK, AA, or even a set, does this change things (flop and river betting)?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:38 PM

Raise. There are all sorts reasons why your opponent might bet the turn here without being totally full of sh*t (he is on a flush draw, he puts you on a flush draw, he just turned top pair) that still require you to raise your overpair in response.

All the best,

Colgin