Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 06:20 AM

Default NL Freeroll situation

You are MP1 and dealt AKcc in a multi-table tourney. This is a freeroll so play is somewhat loose, however there are some decent players as well. You raise 3x bb (20/40 blinds) and get one caller CO+1. You have little read on CO+1, however he is sitting comfy at 5000 chips while most players still have <1500. You are at about 2800 chips yourself prior to this hand.

2 players to a flop of AdKd6d. You lead out with a pot sized bet ~300. CO+1 moves all-in. What do you do?

Initially I felt it would be a good move to call here. The idea of AA or KK is slim and there's a slight chance of 66 or A6. I thought it would be more likely that he held an offsuit A or K, with a Qd for the nut flush draw. With 2 pair on the flop, you have 4 cards that will fill you up. A flopped flush seems highly unlikely, CO+1 calling with QJd or less?

However, thinking back to what I have heard from several pros, they'll often times fold in all-in situations early, relying on skill to gain back their chips rather then getting in early with a coin-flip type situation.

In the varying situations possible in this hand, you are either a big favorite, a slight favorite, or drawing nearly dead (4 outs).

Would you call or fold this hand, given that the tourney has been underway for only a short amount of time?

Would your decision change if this where not a freeroll event ($50+ buy-in for example)?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: NL Freeroll situation

What are the payouts in the freeroll? If it is a stars freeroll, just to qualify for the Sunday freeroll that pays out a small amount of money, then I call without even thinking for one second. In those tournaments you either want to double up, or stop wasting your time.

If it is a freeroll with a somewhat decent cash prize, that makes your decision a little more difficult. I would still call here in an instant, and expect the other player to turn over AxQd, QxQd, or 66. I don't really see any other possible hands, except for maybe another AK.

Rick Diesel
Old 07-07-2004, 08:42 AM

This is hardly a coin flip. I'd call before he even finished putting his chips in.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 PM

This was a FTP freeroll, first place was something like $80, nothing to write home about.

I watched this hand, as a friend was playing, and told him it was an easy call when CO+1 moved all in. He called and CO+1 turned over Qx of diamonds for the nuts. Turn/River where blanks and my friend was out relatively early, failing to fill up.

He said he would have folded there, and I told him I still felt that calling was the best move as the likelihood of his opponent on 2 diamonds with the A and K of diamonds already on bored where very slim.

I play mostly cash games, so perhaps my train of thought is different. I'm still curious how others would handle this situation in a real $ tournament, with a nice payoff possibly up for grabs.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:31 PM

Given that the guy has over 5000 in chips already, I'd expect he is pretty loose and has gotten lucky a few times. I wouldn't put this sort of player past calling T120 (1/50th of his stack) with Qx of diamonds so, if he hits, he can inflate his stack even further (which is exactly what happened). I would be surprised if his luck held out the whole tourney and he made the money, though. 99 times out of 100, a guy with that many chips early in a freeroll got them them by pushing where a more experienced player wouldn't.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:39 PM

My guess is a flush draw, and I call in a heartbeat. These freerolls are pretty lose, so double up now, or get knocked out and go make some real money at another table!