Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Fold AA after being capped.

Was this fold correct? UTG's raise preflop raised my eyebrow. He then calls me rather than 3betting preflop.
Now comes the flop and I remembered his raise preflop. So I 3 bet and once he caps I figured QQ,JJ or QJ... but not really QJ, since I read him as a tight aggressive player. Plus I took his position in consideration.

Once he capped I figured the AA were beat. Do you think so? Or should I have just gone into check / call mode?

Also note that later on I ended up beating UTG with TT against his 88 w/ KKA showing on the board. I raised him and he ended up calling rather than 3betting me. So I figured he really did have a good hand up against my AA.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Wada is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Wada 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Wada bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Wada 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Wada folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. UTG wins 8 BB. </font>
Old 07-06-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Fold AA after being capped.

ugh. bad. BAD.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:46 PM

Boy that sure helps me, especially when Im here to learn.

Think you can elaborate???
Old 07-06-2004, 08:51 PM

Are you seriously kidding?

You are behind to: QQ, JJ.
You have enough outs against to call: QJs.
You are tied with AA, ahead of KK, AQ, KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], AK, two random clubs, any other pocket pair, and whatever else a 50 cent player can be holding. Oh, he plays them all exactly the same way, BTW. (Well, no, he doesn't really. He'd cap QQ and probably cap JJ, so you are behind to a grand total of EXACTLY ONE hand unless he happens to be the type to raise 77.)

Your fold is not actually the worst part of this post, though. The worst part of this post is when you go on to explain that he must have had a good hand that time because he called you down with a low pair on an AKK flop.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 08:52 PM

There is a very good chance you have the best hand. When you folded there were 8BB in the pot. Let's say you just want to check call the next two street. That would mean you pay 2 BBs to get 10BBs, or 5 to 1. Are your chances to win this hand better than 20%? with AA, you bet your sweet ass it is.

If my reasoning is off someone please correct me -- this reasoning was quick and dirty (like it is when you play).
Old 07-06-2004, 08:53 PM

You say that you noticed the UTG preflop raise. Well, yeah, he raised - is he super passive? So you 3-bet preflop. Good.

On the flop, you are quite probably ahead, even when he raises. Even when he caps, I'm willing to bet you're ahead at least a quarter of the time - when you have no read. He could be capping with AQ, AJ, KK, TT - all of which you are miles ahead of. If you're going to fold to a cap, don't 3-bet. Just call his raise.

You are folding getting 17:1. If you knew he had a set, you could basically call hoping to spike an ace cause he'll pay you off.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:55 PM

Not to mention hero has the trump Ace. This is an example of horrible flop play and thinking.

Not to pick on the hero, but sometimes a person needs a good slap upside the head. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 09:01 PM

No not kidding. Like I said Im here to learn and asking questions. I posted it because I was unsure about it.

If he has QQ or JJ (he raises preflop) and the flop has Q,J,x - Im thinking he flopped trips. I have a 2 outer to beat his hand. What are my chances of getting an ace on the turn and flop. Like you said he could have ANYTHING. Like QJ and got his two pair.

Yes he COULD have had KK,etc..etc. Like you mentioned. He did not reraise me preflop. He called my raise preflop. THEN he caps me on the flop. Instead of just calling me raise.

I just mentioned that he called me down with a low pair on another hand rather than just being wild and raising like crazy like other maniacs do. I said I put him on a tight aggressive player.

Please explain why my line of thinking was wrong. Like I said here to learn and understand. Explain please.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:11 PM

If he has QQ or JJ... and the flop has Q,J,x - I'm thinking he flopped trips.

Well, yes.

A tight player is less likely to call you down with an underpair to a broadway board. An aggressive player is more likely to raise with a variety of hands, many of which you're ahead of.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:13 PM

Excellent fold. You rock.

And yes, I am a prick.