Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 11:52 AM

Default bet the flop?

No reads.

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows 9d Qd (two pair, kings and queens).
Hero shows Ad Ks (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.25 BB. </font>
Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: bet the flop?

I'd bet the flop and give a K or T the chance to checkraise me. Then you can raise the turn. If there's no broadway draw or a K or T out there, you most likely not get any extra bets anyway, especially when its a big bet on the turn and the pot.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:04 PM

Yes! If this were my table, I'd smell trips right away.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:05 PM

I think betting the flop would have been a good idea. By checking, you give JQ a free card, and also suggest you have a monster. What would you raise preflop and not follow up with a bet on the flop on a board like this? I think it worked out well for you in this situation, but for the most part, it is a -EV play.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:08 PM

Yes. You are the preflop raiser who your opponent's expect to bet the flop. Unless you have an exceptionally weak image, your check is highly suspiscious and makes it more likely you have a K than if you had bet. There are also a number of gutshot draws who will call a flop bet, and there is a chance someone else has the case King and will give you lots of action or the chance that someone might try to put a move on you here (people like to represent trips and bluff paired flops), meaning you miss bets by checking. And there is also the possibility that your opponents are bad players (this is party 2-4) who generally call too much, so you miss bets by checking.

Put another way, unless you can identify specific reasons which clearly outweigh the above-mentioned justifications for betting, you should follow thru with what should be your default play in this spot and bet.