Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Want to get in on the Party, and it looks like I need help

So, I've been playing at UB since like forever, and have never given Party a real shot. The shots I've given it have invariably left me scratching my head at coming out down. 15/30 started well till the 2 outers hit. Every time I play there I seem to get repeatedly sucked out on, lol.
Point being I know that's there's a lot about the way *play* is on Party I just don't get. So I need to do a major job at adjusting.

I hate when people post multi-hand histories, but as these hands are probably pretty uninteresting, I think I need a multi-hand look at how I need to adjust for there. So while some of these hands you might think are automatic/horrible, I really don't have that much of a clue which they are, I just feel like I'm playing blind there because what I am facing there is so different to what I've faced elsewhere.
All comments (on all streets) are appreciated, particularly from players that beat these games after having adjusted to them.
[Note: These hands are probably boring as [censored]. They're just the ones that caused problems, and I could use some clarification on]

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero ...

Ugh, this one just gets uglier and uglier...

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.70 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero ...

Also if anyone wants to offer me any general adjustment comments, when moving to Party from a Tighter site, I'd appreciate it.
Cheers.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Want to get in on the Party, and it looks like I need help

JS,

I only play 2/4 on Party, but here are my suggestions:

Hand 1: I would bet, since even with the flopped K he may be assuming that you have AQ/AJ, and be hardfastly calling down with an 8x or any pocket pair. Of course, I would fold to a raise, since I can't imagine him raising without at least a K.

Hand 2: Although I don't know if I'ld have the strength to do this under battle conditions, I would probably check-fold the river, since there is no logical hand your opponent could have against which you are winning. Indeed, unless he's a maniac, I can't see him raising the flop and then raising the turn with only AK. Assuming he doesn't have AK, you are toast on the river!

Hand 3: I think that the most likely hands for opponent are:

a) weak ace
b) flush draw
c) pocket pair

Since he will call with any ace and fold any busted draw, (and probably not checkraise you unless he has at least a K), you have to decide if you think that the likelihood of him betting out on the flop with a pocket pair and then calling this river is better than the likelihood of his having a weak ace. I think I might just check behind.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:19 PM

Hand 1: Check behind on the river
Hand 2: I guess you didn't cap pf for deceptive purposes right? When out of position, I usually just like to play it more strait foward pf. It also makes you're opponents a lil easier to read. The way you'd play it, I'd probobly call the river.
Hand 3: Bet the turn check the river. I've been using that line lately for PPs w/an overcard on the board and its given me some decent success.

Hope that helps
Old 07-05-2004, 07:32 PM

I play all 3 pretty much exactly the same. And yes, check both on the river. #1 might be a thin value bet were it not for the flush hitting.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:38 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

Hands 1 and 3: I don't think there's any value in betting the rivers. there's next to nothing worse that they'll call with. at 2/4 or 3/6 you could make a case for betting, but I think the 5/10 players deserve a bit more respect.

Hand 2: I think you slowed down at the right time.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:58 PM

heya john,

strange that you tried 5/10 on Party exactly the same weekend I did. Frankly, I got my ass kicked and then some - i really hate that place with a passion. Get ready for the variance, because its going to be wild.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:27 AM

OK thanks guys. I'm glad the hands were considered played pretty vanilla, because I was beginning to doubt I had any conception of what I should be doing there.

Hand 1. Board: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Me T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I checked. Figured only the 8 calls that I beat, but with the flush and King out there wasn't much value in a bet.
Opponent had limped with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Only the Gods know if I lost a bet.

Hand 2. Board: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Me A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

My very rare Preflop call of the 3-bet headsup for deception started to go all wrong when all them pocket pairs I hoped he had started catching me up.
I had intended to bet/3-bet or CR the Turn but when the Queen hits and he raises there's only the Kings I can put him on I beat. (The JJ I'm no longer expecting to raise me).
I hated calling, but felt I had too.
The King is the ugliest card in the world leaving me losing to EVERY pair above Eights. I made a "Party Call" at 11-1 to verify he wasn't a maniac, and he turned over K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Hand 3. Board: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Me Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I figured the Turn check was fine probably. I didn't want to be checkraised (as I'm still not sure the percentage of players that are full of [censored] there). I'd have hated to lose to a King that would have folded but that's about all I'm getting rid off. I basically wanted to see a showdown with all the expensive drawouts I was running into with big hands.
The River I was utterly determined to value bet if it was checked to me, but when I saw it was a King I just thought "Ugh, Bet that and get called by K2o. No thanks".
Opponent had 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

The "I'm almost psychic" award goes to the good Doctor, CP.
Since he nailed the first two river decisions, whereas everyone else played them like me.
Thanks all.

I've just noticed all three losers were big black pocket pairs.
Funky.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
strange that you tried 5/10 on Party exactly the same weekend I did. Frankly, I got my ass kicked and then some - i really hate that place with a passion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ark.
Yeah, Party and me have never hit it off like I told you.
UB I've always floated like a butterfly, stung like a bee.
I've just decided though, after a year of hearing about how they have clearly the best games, that it's time to pony up and stick with it.
It's the only place I've not won. Though I'm still in the "small sample size". I still find it frustrating though, and so unlike what I'm used to. I'm gonna keep getting up from the canvas though...
Old 07-06-2004, 02:18 AM

for hand 3, him checking the turn and river seems pretty weak to me. If he had the ace, he would've bet it on the river in hopes that you had a king and would call. The only hand to worry about is Kx IMO. If you think you're the favorite most of the time, which I think you are, bet the river
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 AM

I only played the 5/10 game for 4000 hands, but I was only a break even player in it. I'm beating the 15 game pretty handily and find it MUCH looser. PLease, if anything, play 3/6, it's MUCH easier than 5/10. Or, if you have the roll, play the 15 game.