Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Too aggressive, not paying attention to signs?

I'm guessing I should respect that flop limp-reraise from UTG more, but I guess I'm still getting used to people who limp in pre-flop with JJ, or maybe I should have at least put him on QJ?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG 3-bets, Hero caps, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB bets $3 (All-In), UTG calls, Hero raises, CO folds, UTG calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.75 BB, between Hero, BB and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (14.75 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 4 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (4 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Js 8d (two pair, jacks and eights).
UTG shows Jh Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Hero shows Ks Qc (one pair, queens).
Outcome: UTG wins 18.75 BB. </font>
Old 07-05-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive, not paying attention to signs?

you should raise this preflop

i would just call the UTG 3bet, this call/reraise is usually a set

i would check behind the river...
Old 07-05-2004, 05:22 PM

Hi Coldvein,

Before the flop I think you should raise if you think you can limit the field.

On the flop unless the limp reraiser is a complete maniac I would call his raise and hope to improve on the turn. But here is where you got stuck. On the turn the BB bet and the reraiser just called. This screams to me that he has draw and I would have raised just as you did and continued on the river when the blank hit.

But you see, if you would have just called on the flop then he would have probably raised the turn bet and you could have safely folded. It seems your problem on this hand stems from overvaluing your top pair king kicker on the flop.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:32 PM

Hey,

Isn't KQo a weak hand to raise with in anything but late position? I used to raise with this pre-flop, but have been reading a fair amount lately that makes me think it's a hand I should be generally be calling with in this position?

For me, I feel my biggest mistake was capping and then being forced into betting on the turn, as you pointed out.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:17 PM

KQo is a good hand heads up and shorthanded. It is not very good multihanded in large pots. I would raise it here to try to limit the field. If your table was such that many people would call your raise, it would be better to just call.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:34 PM

Hi, when I see the flop like JT, QJ, KQ, I usually worry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Most of us will play these hands in LL, a reraise tell me 2 pr. I think you missed the sign, but I understand to push top pr. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2004, 01:26 AM

To me, call/reraise implies someone pumping a flush draw once they see enough customers are tied to pot. I wouldn't be thinking he had a set either. (Especially not when he merely calls the turn.)