Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Getting frustrated - very

Play like u usually do, also play more hands that do better multi-way and fold more postflop. If u have overcards and u hit is it going to be a clean out, or is someone with K3 going to make two pair...its a different game, a lot of suckouts, but once u learn what u should be doing, you will be fine and be able to adjust whether its a tight or insanely loose table.

I concur that you should get SSHE if u havent already.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:00 PM

I'm in the same boat. I'm a pretty competent NLHE tournament player. But a new card room opened nearby and I'm having fits at the 4/8 tables. No fold-em is a completely different game than I've been playing. The books have helped, but I'm having a difficult time switching gears from tournament to low-limit play.

And it's tough for me to keep my mouth shut when some Travel Channel expert buys in for $60 and then slides on a pair of Oakleys.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:50 PM

I love the oakley wearers at no foldem-swim to me O fishey-on a more serious note, playing llhe is a different animal than nl or even online play. Most ll games are very passive and no matter what u hold or what your table image is, most fish will not take that into consideration and call with almost anything. Only raise with the best premo hands since u will not chase anyone out of the pot. And as an earlier poster said, limp with hands that play well multiway like connnectors(dont have to be suited) and small pairs. if the game is passive preflop, dont worry about position too much since it will be limped around. If it is raised usually u have the right pot odds to see the flop anyway and will get a lucky flop from time to time. When u do hit the flop in this situation,make sure u get paid off. dont go crazy raising to drive fish out, unless u know they will call u to the river(which most do) They will play top pair or even middle pair to the death,usually doing the raising for you. And watch body language. Most people at lower limits get excited and almost jump out of there seats when they hit a flop,not knowing any different. Then u can lay them accordingly. Another good book to read is Lee Jones Winning llhe. Very good book. So dont get discouraged, it happens to all,getting outdrawn on the river. But in the long run u will be paid off by the smae players. Ive done very well playing this way at the Taj in games from 2-4 to 5-10. And one more thing, when u are outdrawn,congradulate them on their play(as much of a joke that it was). You dont want them to leave or tighten up on u. GL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 11:48 PM

I made a few posts to a thread in small stakes limit the other day about this type of game. I used to play low limit B&M at Foxwoods and logged many many hours there.

When I first started I had read a few books and felt prepared. I lost my first few sessions and was frustrated. I thought to myself "I'm a smart guy, I studied and I'm losing, what's up with that?"

Well I soon figured it out. The long and short of it was that I was:

1. Overplaying TPTK and overpairs and
2. Not playing enough drawing hands

TPTK turn to dogmeat on the flop and turn in these games frequently. Some dork can argue "you make more than you loose long term" and this may be true, but you make even mroe folding hands when you are beat and do not have the odds to redraw to a winning hand. Pay attention to the players and the table dynamics. When people hit their draws they will let you know if you are observent. When players have a better hand than you they will let you know when you are observant. This is much more the case live than on the internet. It is particularly true in the low limit live games.

So play those group 1 and group 2 hands. Play them agressively preflop. Play them agressivley on the flop. But pay attention to the other players in the hand. Since there are so many opponents, when a draw card falls on the turn it often hits one of the opponents. So on the turn if you have an overpair and are up against a straight and there are still 3 other opponents and there is 2 or three to a flush on board there is quite possibly someone else in there drawing to a hand that can beat the straight. Your overpair is no good. Everyone can fold two undercards on a flop when there are 2-3 players raising and reraising a flop full of paint. The good players are the ones who can fold 3rd and 2nd best hands. Players loose a boatload of money paying off with 2nd and 3rd best hands. Good players fold these hands. Bets saved are bets earned. Read the board. Read the players and learn how they play.

Play suited connectors and unsuited connectors. One gappers are good too. Be careful with position as you don't want to limp with this and be faced with coldcalling a raise and reraise and be out of postion. In family pots hands that are drawing to straights and flushes have a lot of protection. Your drawing to a 2 to 1 odds hand and since your up against 6 opponents your getting paid 6 to 1 to do so. This is where you make your money in these games.

Play Ax suited. Look to flop the flush draw. Your pair of aces are often no good when you have a low kicker as everyone plays every ace in these games. Again, pay attention to position.

Figure out how to get the most money in the pot when you have the winners (this is not just blindly raising as players will sometimes fold on the turn if being faced with calling 2 bets cold but will continue to the river for 1 bet. Everyone calls the second bet when checkraised.

You will be looking at lots of flops and not connecting to them. Don't kid yourself. If other players have connected to them or have good draws they are not going away even if they do not have correct odds to draw. It's one thing to make them chase you down when your holding the best hand. It is another thing to keep pushing after they hit because you don't have the skill to be able to drop a second best hand. You don't want to be throwing away good hands but as you probably know in these games players do not bluff on the river. They have to showdown with 2 other players every single time (rare exceptions but that is the norm) so they are not going to pick up the pot with A high. The best hand wins in these games. Your objective is to have the best hand on the river and to have the pots be nice and huge at these times.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:00 PM

Some great advice - thanks.

I've read a lot of the poker material out there - put much to practice on-line - but now it's just a matter of converting this to B&M play.

An update from the weekend.

Saturday, played at Hollywood park 3/6 - bought in for $120 and walked away a couple hours later with $225 - very happy with my first winning session. Would have stayed longer, but had an appointment late that afternoon.

Sunday went back - lost $50 on my Sunday session. I thought I played well, stayed focused, no loosey goosey plays - but the cards just didn't fall.

It really just blows my mind though how loose this 3/6 game is. There was 1 other tight player at my table playing good cards. I saw him pull down at least $300 whilst he was playing - and we basically stayed out of each others way, because we both realized we were playing the "Right" style of poker.

Looking forward to logging some additional hours soon.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 PM

these threads crack me up. not cracking on anybody in particular, and i don't mean this specifically for the guy who posted it here, more of a general comment. but i love how people make fun of the oakley kids yet complain when they misplay KK and say it's because of the game. "that wouldn't happen in 10/20 where i usually play." is my favorite. closely followed by "you gotta love 3/6." you're no different from oakley kid.