Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: AK, worth getting stacked?

Couple other questions: Was your $2 raise a minraise, a 4xbb, an 8xbb?

I also don't see stack sizes, if this is $25, I'm probably going to push here and expect KQ/KT-Kx often enough to make it worth while.

I think the only thing you're reasonably behind here is KJ; AA and KK are possible, but I'd expect an original raise PF from one of them.

Drink More,
RedRum
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM

50NL

4xBB

I had $50, he covered.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the only thing you're reasonably behind here is KJ; AA and KK are possible, but I'd expect an original raise PF from one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ? 22?

pushing would be really dumb
Old 07-13-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to fold the turn when nothing has changed, then you should fold the flop. that's not a bad play against a typically passive TAG...you're generally only going to play a big pot with them when you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true. It is quite possible for someone to be a 'fire one bullet' kinda guy. Meaning you are ahead, say 50% of the time, on the flop, but once he fires again on the turn, you are ahead 0% of the time. Makes call flop, fold turn and perfectly acceptable line. In fact, that is probably how I play this if the guy is tight. Maybe he is betting into me with top pair on the flop. But once I call, I expect him to slow down. Once he's not slowing down, I expect him to have a set or two pair almost all the time here. Obviously no one right answer. I don't really like a flop raise, though. Seems like a no-win situation for you. I would prefer just call, call, call over raising the flop.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:27 PM

If he is a classig tag he is not in there with KJ from out of position and I find KK unlikely because of the preflop action, depending on how often he usually raised preflop, you can incluce/exclude JJ, so I either think he is very weak with some missed hand or has 22 possibly JJ, I would raise the flop and take home the pot right there so I dont have to second guess myself, which really will be the problem by just calling, it looks weak and he might very well fire a second bullet and you have no clue where you are at, and now it costs much more to raise. If he reraise I give him credit for a set on this fairly drawless board and fold
Old 07-13-2005, 04:29 PM

raise more preflop. Limits TAGs holdings immensely. Even during my TAG stages I was prone to call a small raise OOP with QK.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 PM

I agree....I don't like raising this flop. Isn't this just offering our money to villain who takes it when he is ahead?

Raising the flop is certainly the surest way to find out where we are in the hand, but it's also expensive. For a similar price as a raise to $15, we can call the flop, and probably call a turn bet too. But this way we get to find out whether he checks the turn or the river! Surely this is a better way to find out if we are against a set or two pair for the same price, and also earns us more money from KQ.

If he fires on the flop, turn and river, we lay it down on the river, costing a similar amount as the flop raise. If he checks on the turn or river, we get to take it to showdown for the same price as the flop raise.

I'm partly playing devil's advocate here, I'm not sure this is what I'd do, but I'd like to see what people think.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:33 PM

Hmm I think what TWP says has some merit, a player like this doesn't fire twice at a board of this texture without a holding.

However, I still think calling isn't such a good idea.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise more preflop. Limits TAGs holdings immensely. Even during my TAG stages I was prone to call a small raise OOP with QK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Driving out KQo isn't the purpose of the preflop raise.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to fold the turn when nothing has changed, then you should fold the flop. that's not a bad play against a typically passive TAG...you're generally only going to play a big pot with them when you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true. It is quite possible for someone to be a 'fire one bullet' kinda guy. Meaning you are ahead, say 50% of the time, on the flop, but once he fires again on the turn, you are ahead 0% of the time. Makes call flop, fold turn and perfectly acceptable line. In fact, that is probably how I play this if the guy is tight. Maybe he is betting into me with top pair on the flop. But once I call, I expect him to slow down. Once he's not slowing down, I expect him to have a set or two pair almost all the time here. Obviously no one right answer. I don't really like a flop raise, though. Seems like a no-win situation for you. I would prefer just call, call, call over raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.