Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Check-up Flopping the Nuts and not even considering FPS lines

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't checked around to me, I was the sb. I wish you guys would at least look at the hands. Sorry sthief, I really like your posts and value your input but not when you don't even read the hand. Not that the forum cares, but I sent Errant a PM and am sparing you all the agony of reading any future conversations between he and I by ignoring his posts, as I find them to be worthless to me anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW Errant happens to be one of the ss regulars whose opinion I respect most here. like top 3. it's a shame you couldn't find any value in what he was trying to get across to you
Old 03-30-2005, 09:39 AM

Ah, ok my bad, the timing wasn't great for me and to imply I was checking behind with the nuts was too much for me to laugh at.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, ok my bad, the timing wasn't great for me and to imply I was checking behind with the nuts was too much for me to laugh at.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 7 syllable line can be so tricky sometimes!

If you flop the nuts
And you are in the small blind
You must bet it out
Old 03-30-2005, 10:20 AM

I dont' like the checkraise for the aforementioned reasons, particularly you lose the call from the BB. I think the checkraise and cap on the flop completely kills any action you might get on the turn and the river; is this a good thing?

What about slowyplaying the flop and coming alive on the turn? Is this a more profitable line? Are you losing bets in the long-run? I.e.
Flop - bet call
Turn - bet, raise, raise, raise.
River - Bet, raise

Curious what people think of this line? Too risky to miss bets? Are you concerned about being drawn out on to the flush or boat?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 AM

the problem is that oop a raise on the end could be a free play, and a stop 'n' go could kill the action. it might not, but it's prolly not worth it to try.

with position, you can do things like smooth call a 3-bet and raise again on the turn.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont' like the checkraise for the aforementioned reasons, particularly you lose the call from the BB. I think the checkraise and cap on the flop completely drys up any action you might get on the turn and the river; is this a good thing?

What about slowyplaying the flop and coming alive on the turn? Is this a more profitable line? Are you losing bets in the long-run? I.e.
Flop - bet call
Turn - bet, raise, raise, raise.
River - Bet, raise

Curious what people think of this line? Too risky to miss bets? Are you concerned about being drawn out on to the flush or boat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this post is getting at what the point of initially posting was. Aside from realizing why cr on the flop is bad, I am still curious if anyone thinks I should dodge a scenario that caps the flop and go for something later. Like if I lead flop, bb does whatever, ep raises, now I just call instead of 3 betting looking to go for something on the flop? I wasn't in favor of that here because of the positional difficulty, is that generally how you guys would make that decision? Thus if I led and got raised I would go 3 and then lead? Would I lead if I got capped on the flop?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:31 AM

yeah, because your position sucks. you'd like to go to war on every street, and you want to make it easy for the guy caught in between to call bets.

it's not worth slowing up because it's just as likely to kill your action as fast-playing will, and if you do go to war on a later street, you might drive out a donk that's caught in the middle and drawing thin.

change your position... sure
Old 03-30-2005, 10:38 AM

Bet Bet Bet Bet Bet
Better Than Slowplaying Your Hands
What an Easy Game!

Look out for my next book, "Bob Ciaffone Explains Poker Through Haiku"
Old 03-30-2005, 10:40 AM

I'm not sure why you are so gunshy about raising these 2 hands preflop. I think you are underestimating the power of initiative when you are in a shorthanded situation with a good hand that is likely to be the best. When your opponent misses a flop, which they will do 2/3 of the time, you have huge fold equity in relation to the potsize. If these situations make you uncomfortable then I would encourage you to play some 6-max.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 AM

Raising Preflop Is Good
And Pwning Limpers Is Fun
And You'll Win More Loot