Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Poker by the book

I was just thrilled when Mike Sexton got knocked out early so he could go back to the announcer's booth and buffer some of the worthless tripe that was coming out of VVP's mouth. You forget how completely inane VVP's commentary is until it's the only thing you're hearing. VVP on WPT is equal to Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football...useless and annoying. Sexton played like a total chump, though.

As far as Doyle goes...there's a difference between being tired and being bored. I'm sure Doyle has much better things to do than play for an insignificant $25,000. Don't get me wrong, Sklansky played great, but Doyle just didn't seem to care. Put those two heads up at the final table of an event with a $1,000,000 first prize and I think the outcome's different, at least in style of play if nothing else.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I only saw a few minutes of it, but from what I saw it seemed like Mike Caro doesn't play NL holdem tournaments very well. The TT hand was maybe the all time worst hand in WPT show history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about his fold? He had to be a collective dog.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:01 PM

Caro limped UTG 4-handed with TT with a somewhat short stack.. Sklansky pushed (or made large bet) from one of the blinds (with AK I beleive) and put Caro to the test. Caro starts chatting.. says "I have a bigger hand than you think".. Then TJ spouts out laughing "We all know you have a big hand .. you limped under the gun!" I beleive this comment hit home with Caro, and made him start thinking... "damn, it was so transparent that I have a hand, and Sklansky is trying to put me all in.. he must have a monster". He knows Sklansky probably isn't doing this with 99 or lower, so he's either a 4.5-1 dog or it's even money. He chose not to gamble. I don't think it's as horrible of a fold as most people have said it was. If Sklansky had QQ, Caro would have looked like a genius.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:46 PM

Exactly, there is no reason to call here.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Caro limped UTG 4-handed with TT with a somewhat short stack.. Sklansky pushed (or made large bet) from one of the blinds (with AK I beleive) and put Caro to the test. Caro starts chatting.. says "I have a bigger hand than you think".. Then TJ spouts out laughing "We all know you have a big hand .. you limped under the gun!" I beleive this comment hit home with Caro, and made him start thinking... "damn, it was so transparent that I have a hand, and Sklansky is trying to put me all in.. he must have a monster". He knows Sklansky probably isn't doing this with 99 or lower, so he's either a 4.5-1 dog or it's even money. He chose not to gamble. I don't think it's as horrible of a fold as most people have said it was. If Sklansky had QQ, Caro would have looked like a genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not neccesarily if you consider the dead money already in the pot, and the short stack, I think it swings thisto a call
Old 02-28-2005, 08:28 PM

Limping with a shortstack and TT at a 5 handed table, with the intention of folding to a raise, is just terrible poker. If you ever play like this, you need to completely re-examine the way you play poker.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Why was Sexton Invited?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sexton was invited because his book is somehow either affiliated and/or about the WPT. The WPT logo is right on the cover of his book.

[/ QUOTE ]
So? It's still not released yet. And 'invited' seems a bit too nice of a word for it. He & WPT just took advantage of the situation to plug their book. No way, on his merits as an author, does Sexton deserve to sit with these other guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the old "The WPT owns it and they can do whatever is best for their business" rule comes into play.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:59 PM

I think it depends on where the raise from, in Caro's mind. He would have called TJ had he done the same thing. I agree that the play doesn't seem to make much sense at all.. and I guess that's why Caro is the "wierdest poker player in the world"
Old 02-28-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sexton was invited because his book is somehow either affiliated and/or about the WPT. The WPT logo is right on the cover of his book.

[/ QUOTE ]
So? It's still not released yet. And 'invited' seems a bit too nice of a word for it. He & WPT just took advantage of the situation to plug their book. No way, on his merits as an author, does Sexton deserve to sit with these other guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was exactly the point that I was trying to make genius. Let me be a little more clear; they INCLUDED Sexton to sell books not because he is equal to the other five at the table. If they were going on merit alone, Hellmuth should not be there and Malmuth amongst others should have been.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was exactly the point that I was trying to make genius. Let me be a little more clear; they INCLUDED Sexton to sell books not because he is equal to the other five at the table. If they were going on merit alone, Hellmuth should not be there and Malmuth amongst others should have been.

[/ QUOTE ]
It didn't occur to me someone would be making such an obvious point. And you are indeed a MASTER of the obvious.