Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Soft play vs. gambling addicts

Here's the original claim:

"There is nothing wrong with the strong taking from the weak. It happens everywhere in life and in nature."

No qualifiers or nothing, so there is no analogy being made. Duh!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no anti-trust laws in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong: anti-collusion.

Bye-bye, thanks for playing and have a nice day.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:54 PM

Playing poker is no different than playing the stock market, ethically speaking. You'll find some folks who melt down on the trading floor as well. Remember the British guy who lost $20 billion?
Lions hunt the weakest, slowest gazelles - is nature unethical?
A fair poker game probably is a more ethical way to take someone's money than most professions, especially politicians and religious leaders.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's no anti-trust laws in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong: anti-collusion.

Bye-bye, thanks for playing and have a nice day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have the beginnings of an uber-troll here.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:58 PM

Don't forget too easily those times you get sucked out on with a 2 outer, and lose a big pot to some idiot who had no business being in the hand. Lots of times, those are the addicts.....overplaying draws, playing any 2 suited cards...b/c they want the action and are desparate for a win. Then everyone says this is the guy you want to have around, cuz he'll make mistakes, and more often than not, your better hand will hold up. Bottom line, I will never slow play anyone at a table....the way I see it, it's payback for all the ridiculous suckouts....
Old 05-10-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget too easily those times you get sucked out on with a 2 outer, and lose a big pot to some idiot who had no business being in the hand. Lots of times, those are the addicts.....overplaying draws, playing any 2 suited cards...b/c they want the action and are desparate for a win. Then everyone says this is the guy you want to have around, cuz he'll make mistakes, and more often than not, your better hand will hold up. Bottom line, I will never slow play anyone at a table....the way I see it, it's payback for all the ridiculous suckouts....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about the run of the mill gambler. These are the people who you make your money off of; run of the mill fish; suckers.

Problem gamblers are a different breed. In Super System, Caro talks about why people are consistent losers in poker and yet they still come back. He states "They play to ease the pain."

Kiddj touched on it here:

[ QUOTE ]
You can see that they don't know what they're doing. The more they lose, the more weak/loose they play. They catch their runner runner two-gapped gutshot on the river and STILL don't really seem happy about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys cannot leave the table with money, their drive to play is a sick and horrible compulsion. They are full of pain and sitting at the poker table doesn't ease that pain, it makes it worse.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should know that when you softplay him you are doing it for your own sake, not for his. He probably won't realize he was softplayed, and even if he did, its not likely to make him feel any better. As for the money, the bet or two you save him isn't going to matter one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:53 PM

Play online, that way you don't have to associate a face with the player. Although I sometimes feel really bad for that chick that always wears the yellow shirt in the 9 seat. I've seen her win sometimes, I would think she could buy a new shirt.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:36 AM

My job is to take all the addicts money as soon as possible. That way he will hit rock bottom quicker and either get help or kill himself. The world is a better place either way.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to make a living through non-productive work and by preying on people with mental illnesses is beyond pathetic and subhuman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, 50% of people earn money from non productive work, I do even.

Mack