Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Getting Away From Bottom Set $400 6-Max (2-4)

1) Lead the flop. That flop is guaranteed to have hit someone besides you, so there's no point in trying to slowplay here.

Given the sequence of betting, I can kind of, sort of, possibly see folding here... but I would still call once I counted up and realized that I'm getting 3.5:1 (right?) on a call there. You won't be definitely beat in that spot four times out of five.

Kirk
Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Getting Away From Bottom Set $400 6-Max (2-4)

I just couldn't put the pieces together here... he re-raised me indicating big pair or AK to me given his profile.

I lead this flop almost all the time... but here I decided he will bet this flop 100% of time after re-raising me and seeing me only call...

the other guy surprised me when he re-raised... so now I think, wow -- if I re-re-raise I will know if he has AA or not.... Well I did that, got the information I was looking for... but then started thinking he might have AQ..... I changed my read to fit the situation and just decided he has AQ there at least 1/4 of the time and I just can't fear AA all the time.... I forgot to consider QQ actually...

the way it played, I had excellent information I think... I would have been destroyed by people on this site if I had laid it down, not known what he had, and posted it here...

Given everyone here has said they go broke on this hand, I feel a bit better... but I still not sure this was the right play....

Meanwhile, after I had read posts to this thread, I had a simliar situation with set of 3's... I did lead the flop, faced a raise and an all-in, plugged my nose and called anyway thinking I had lost set over set AGAIN --- but I tripled UP... the crucial difference here was that 1 of the all-ins was a donk (and the raiser was solid)....

donk had overpair, solid held top 2.... bottom set held-up...

net net, lesson for me is that most of time, bottom set is a monster and you need to call.... unless you are damn sure on your read.... I feel like in the original post here, I had enough info to strongly CONSIDER a laydown -- maybe not considering the 3.5-1 but a good lesson for when this situation comes up when I am deeper-stacked.