Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Anyone else dread AKo ?

As foolish as this sounds, part of it may be your attitude. When you see a situation in poker (i.e. AKo) that you have had bad experiences with, sometimes you tend to be more passive, tenative, not making the best decisions for that time. (Believe me when I say that I am speaking to the mirror right now.) AKo especially at the low levels is a premium hand. Read SSHE, play accordingly and big suck will redeem itself
Old 04-07-2005, 04:04 PM

Looking at how coordinated the flop is probably where I'm not paying as good attention to as I should. I do tend to pay attention to how many opponents I still have. Raising pre-flop usually helps clear those out except when I am one to bet last pre-flop - then a raise usually just gets callers from previous limpers.

I also need to let the hand go more often than not, especially when pot odds aren't there. It's all too tempting to see just 1 more card.

Thanks 2+2'ers for setting me straight. I needed a good reminder... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also need to let the hand go more often than not, especially when pot odds aren't there. It's all too tempting to see just 1 more card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have had this hand more than any other hand except 82o after 8K. Seems kind of strange to me, anybody else think so?

What limit are you playing?

Post post post. Then read every AKo thread you see and RESPOND. Even if your not sure, just thinking about another hand and seeing how someone else played it will help.

I raise pf every chance I get. If I miss I will usually fire again, if the field is small. Position is a big factor when playing this hand from the flop and on. I rarely go past the turn if unimproved and expensive. If it's a big pot and you don't fear a made monster, then see a river.

Ben

BTW, where in CO? I am in GJ.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:53 PM

Number 1: AK is a $$$ maker.

Number 2: AK can cost you $$$.

Number 3: A LP-P overplaying HIS AK will make you $$$.

Number 4: Don't overplay YOUR AK.

Board texture and your opponents preflop/post flop attitude will be the main criteria for your post flop play if you miss. Look for backdoor draws, straights, etc. If you have position and want a free card go for the CR.

Maybe it's checked back to you and you want to slide one off for nothing and go from there? Better beware of allowing too many other opponents the ability to get a free card to beat you. Board coordination is a big key.

Don't feel as if you're OBLIGATED to do anything. Stay in control of the decisions and make sound playing decisions. You could very well be behind to a set or two pair and drawing either slim or dead.

One session I folded AK a number of times to nasty boards like all one suit, 3 to a straight, etc. Made me looke pretty weak to be raising and folding but I made it back twice over on later hands when LAG's were betting middle pairs into me.

So a good play early of laying down -WHEN NEEDED - can make you money later. Never feel OBLIGATED to play anything.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, where in CO? I am in GJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Fort Collins area.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As foolish as this sounds, part of it may be your attitude. When you see a situation in poker (i.e. AKo) that you have had bad experiences with, sometimes you tend to be more passive, tenative, not making the best decisions for that time. (Believe me when I say that I am speaking to the mirror right now.) AKo especially at the low levels is a premium hand. Read SSHE, play accordingly and big suck will redeem itself

[/ QUOTE ]

God commentary macdaddy.

When I was entrenched in a 200BB slide I could damn near cry everytime I saw an AA/KK or worse yet JJ. Knowing they needed to be bet, raised and reraised absolutely killed me 'cuz I knew I was going to lose one more time.

There is a great short section in SSHE which kept me going and clicking the raise button early on in the book about the short term mind things. You get burned once or twice and the pain is there so your mind tells you not to be doing that nonsense anymore! The thin is though, you need to keep doing it for the long term.