Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Anyone else dread AKo ? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227887)

chipper57AA 04-07-2005 03:12 PM

Anyone else dread AKo ?

One of my first posts asking for advice on the micro limits so apologies if I haven't done enough searches on the board before posting. This probably has been beaten to death but for someone who's struggling with this hand I'm asking for more opinions...

I've been playing on Stars for the last 8 months. Started out with $100 and worked it up to $255 playing .25/.50 and now some .50/1 tables (just single tabling for now). I also am using PokerTracker and love that software. I use it for analyzing my play afterwards.

One particular leak in my play seems to be playing what I now call "the dreaded AKo" or as I call it "the Big Suck". According to PT, its one of my biggest money losing hands. After 10k hands (yes I know - not enough), I'm winning about 40% of those hands but am losing more money statistically on this than on any other "premium" hand.

I almost always raise this hand pre-flop. I believe my leak occurs during my post-flop play, especially when it misses the flop (which happens most the time). Normally if I had raised pre-flop and I miss the flop and have the opportunity to be 1st to bet, I find myself betting out anyway, usually to help narrow the field. Yet I find myself turning suddenly cold on the turn when I "miss" again. Despite varying my play a bit, I'm usually caught with Ace high on these hands and out 3-4BB per hand. Typically, if I "hit" on the flop and bet then I'm not getting much action (as I would expect).

What can I do to help increase my win % on these aside from staying aggressive through the river or folding after the flop? I've tried varying my play style but now am wanting to toss out AKo more often than not. Anyone else think that this hand should be nicknamed "the big suck"?

chaz64 04-07-2005 03:16 PM

Re: Anyone else dread AKo ?

Do you have SSH? It has a great section on evaluating what to do with overcards on various kinds of flops.

@bsolute_luck 04-07-2005 03:23 PM

it is a strong loser for me- i've played a lot less than 10k though. you have to study how to play this hand postflop especially when the flop misses.

#1 thought from me: don't autobet. just because you have 'em, doesn't mean you should autobet them.

SteveL91 04-07-2005 03:28 PM

I had a big problem with feeling obligated to bet the flop after raising pre-flop. It really is vital that you pick your spots to bet your unimproved overcards on the flop. I'd second the advice about getting SSH, but quickly, try to avoid betting into a big field with U/I overcards. Also, betting highly coordinated boards may or may not be a good idea. Take a look at what cards are out there, if the board is draw heavy or not; then, using what you know about your opponents decide whether or not betting is right. On the other hand, if it's 3-handed and the flop comes Q72 rainbow, I'm more than likely betting it. The more disconnected the flop, the better. This is something I'm still working on, so I'm definitely not an expert, but hopefully, this'll get you started.

aK13 04-07-2005 03:29 PM

I often go for a check/raise for free cards if I miss on a rainbow flop and have position. This is my second biggest winning hand (besides AA). One change I made is to let this hand go more often, and it's been saving me a big bet here and there.

bigmac366 04-07-2005 03:32 PM

when you raise with AKo and miss the flop, you have to evaluate a number of things before you decide to bet or fold. the first thing to remember is overcards prefer raggy flops. 842 is a much better flop for AKo then 789 is. the second thing to consider is how many opponents you have. AKo unimproved prefers as few opponents as possible, so betting into a field of 5 unimproved is a -ev play, but betting into a single opponent is fine. i average .59bb's every time i play AKo is only 52%. i dont know if those numbers are good or not though.

dozer 04-07-2005 03:41 PM

When you miss the flop, you gotta treat AKo like any other draw, If you are getting the right odds to see the turn then continue with the hand. If the flop is ragged and and there is fold equity,bet.

bschlief 04-07-2005 03:47 PM

I just bought SSH, and I haven't come across fold equity yet. Could anyone point me at a good thread or care to give me the run down on it?

~b

@bsolute_luck 04-07-2005 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought SSH, and I haven't come across fold equity yet. Could anyone point me at a good thread or care to give me the run down on it?

~b

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't have the page in front of me but fold equity: the chance the a bet will induce your opponents to fold outright. that is the only way i can explain it and i have no math behind it. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Hellmouth 04-07-2005 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you miss the flop, you gotta treat AKo like any other draw, If you are getting the right odds to see the turn then continue with the hand. If the flop is ragged and and there is fold equity,bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just thought that I would elaborate on this briefly. Unless you get a very coordinated flop (ie 3 of the same suit and it happens to be the suit of your A or K) or you get QJT or two of the 3 then you are pretty much drawing to 6 outs. 6 outs ==> 1:6.67 to hit one of your two cards (and you have to be sure that hitting will win the pot). So if I see more then 6-7 small bets in the pot on the flop then I play. If you are raising preflop the pot will usually be big enough that this is the case. Depending on competition and position I will sometimes raise the flop as well (later postion the better).

If by the turn I am unimproved, I will then look at the size of the pot again. Do I now have a straight or flush draw etc. Since the turn bet is double now the pot must be fairly big to make it worth calling to the river. Since I have shown agression to this point if I think that i can get a free card I will take it. (especially if I raised the flop and am last to play since it is usually checked to me).

If unimproved by the river I usually fold to a bet on the river. They will probably know that you dont have a great hand if you go for the free card on the turn, so more then likely it will not be checked to you again. If it is sometimes it is worth betting to try to drive out weak hands. (If they were also weak and there are not many people left)

Hope this helps
Greg