Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Best poker books

agreed
Old 02-25-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
27 offsuit--I recommend that you get to a few final tables before you call wsop winners, moron's. two other points obviously you are young and ignorant or would not feel free to insult 60 year old men. Please learn how to spell moron before you call someone that name.
why don't you write a book and enlighten us with poker knowledge and wisdom? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't actually call him a moron, I called him a "maroon". I think I quoted Bugs Bunny.

I wish I was as young as you think I am.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:28 AM

I don't really see how it is possible for any NL Hold'em tournament player to not like Harringtons's book. Since so many people here like Harrington (he is a Two Plus Two author), you can probably expect similar responses when you say childish derogoatory things about him.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Behind TOP & SSH I'd add The Psycology of Poker by Alan Schoonberg(sp?).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Psychology of Poker was very dull and uninformative. It
provided almost no new insight into the world of poker, and
did nothing for my game, nor my state of mind at the poker
table.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:24 PM

For your absolute, no nothing, run of the mill stranger on the street, killer poker. The theory is light, but gets the point of playing better cards across in a manner that a beginner will listen.

novice-supersystem has pretty pictures that make you feel warm and special inside. more importantly, read ITH. Helmuth's first book can be inspirational in that "i'm a whiny millionaire" type of a way...

progressing players- caro and touch on sklansky, malmuth. Tj cloutier's book is a personal favorite.

advanced players- the sklansky collection. Haven't picked up SS2 or harringtons yet.
Cheers
Ez
Old 02-27-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Behind TOP & SSH I'd add The Psycology of Poker by Alan Schoonberg(sp?).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Psychology of Poker was very dull and uninformative. It
provided almost no new insight into the world of poker, and
did nothing for my game, nor my state of mind at the poker
table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found one paragraph really nice in it. It's addressed to players who are already TAG's, and how they can improve their game: Making it more inviting for tourists to come play with us.

Otherwise I didn't like the book at all.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For your absolute, no nothing, run of the mill stranger on the street, killer poker. The theory is light, but gets the point of playing better cards across in a manner that a beginner will listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one really talks about John Vorhaus around here it seems. I haven't opened one of his books so I'm assuming they aren't that great...or that people are biased toward Two Plus Two books, which I don't blame so far in my own reading.

Regards,
Wally
Old 02-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Vorhaus is a writer first and a player second as opposed to many of the other books out there. His strength, as such (imo) is that he describes things in a way that other non-players will understand and respond to. His stories are fun, his advice is actually fairly solid, and they do a fair job of relaying the basic messages. His theory is no where near the complexity of a 2+2, but that's also why I categorized it as a pre-novice book. It's an easy read.

He actually made a few practical points that I still use today, several years later. One suggestion is to find a "magic" word that you train yourself to say when you're getting your nutz kicked in... figuratively and literally. He uses the spanish word for enough, which sounds elegant to him, and when he finds that he's getting beaten to a pulp, he finds himself muttering it and that's when he leaves a table...
Another good point for the average pre-novice is that if you could have a genie grant you an extra ten grand in winnings or ten grand less in losses which would you prefer? doesn't matter, because ten grand is ten grand, either way. Its a cute way to put detrimental losses in perspective. Nothing too fancy, but it works for the new neubies.
Cheers,
Eric
Old 02-28-2005, 01:46 PM

Read Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger. Then read Theory of Poker followed by Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, both by David Sklansky. If you want the best book on No-Limit Hold'em, get Harrington on Hold'em. I don't know why anyone would hate on that book, it's packed with so much poker knowledge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 01:56 PM

I've heard that, I just haven't had the time recently.