Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Another river fold

I think that if your read is solid, your play is fine.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your call will probably make CO think it isn't worth a call. If he were ahead of you no way would I overcall, but I think the only way he rivered a straight is with Td or 6d.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's very loose pre-flop. 76 and T9 would both flop OESDs, and they are definitely within his coldcalling range, suited and offsuit. Also, I don't think he would fold a pair on the flop, so add 65, T8, and JT.

Anyway, there's no way he folds a better hand than mine on the river, and he would call with quite a few worse ones.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless he's a complete rock, I'm calling the river. At least 8% of the time you're hand has to be good. In fact, I might seriously consider raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, there's no way he folds a better hand than mine on the river, and he would call with quite a few worse ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
This only makes a call more valuable; you're folding if he raises. I know you want this fold to be good, and in a small pot it would be. But SB could really be donking around; what if he has K8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. That's consistent with his play the whole way, and you beat that. I just am not convinced that you are beat as often as pot odds indicate calling.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:58 AM

I realize I'm arguing strenuously for a fold here, but honestly, I'm uncertain if that is the correct play or not. It's why I posted the hand. I'm just trying to make the best case for it that I can, and I do think there are a lot of aspects of the hand to consider.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I might seriously consider raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

In retrospect, I really wish I had. I could have easily folded to a 3-bet, and it would have put extra pressure on the CO. I was so focused on the SB, I didn't pay much attention to the CO until the river, which was a mistake considering how many draws were on the board.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:16 AM

Barry is right
Old 05-01-2005, 02:34 AM

I think that this question is very read-dependant and a lot of times this opponent's play is consistent with K8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (or some other hand we still beat), but many times it's not. At 3/6 I could see it, but Party 5/10 is way more passive than the other limits and (I think) the players are easier to read.

If the read on the player is good, then he can fold and know it was the correct decision. He won't be ahead of both opponents here often enough to make calling correct.

Or, the read is not so solid, and it should be a call.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At 3/6 I could see it, but Party 5/10 is way more passive than the other limits and (I think) the players are easier to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh, that's interesting. My experience with Party 5/10 has been that it's much trickier and more aggressive than 3/6.

But not the player in question this hand.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh, that's interesting. My experience with Party 5/10 has been that it's much trickier and more aggressive than 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??? More aggressive than 3/6?

In my experience, it seems like the random 3/6 is more aggro then the random 5/10 player and the tables in general have been more passive. Seems like there are way less LAGs and more tight-passives along with TAGs and loose-passives.