Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (22) Am I missing something on how to play AK

[ QUOTE ]
Could you explain these numbers here? Which one is my over all ev if I push?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the range of hands you think your opponent might have. Those numbers are from Poker Stove, which you can download and use for free. What I'm trying to point out there is that even against a fairly loose range, you're still less than 60% to win if you get called. Since you folding equity is so low, I don't think pushing is profitable enough to do.

However, I see an excellent implied odds argument for just calling here and seeing a flop. I dislike folding, but not that much.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call this. He's not letting it go preflop if you push, and if you play it right, players the 22's with QQ will pay off a king-high flop a lot of the time. I'm checking that flop since you'll almost never want to lead at someone with QQ, JJ, or a donk with AQ or AJ. You're either trapping or letting it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also note that a player at any level would be CORRECT to pay off on an ace high or king high flop w QQ in this spot, with only 395 behind. Not because of pot odds of course, but because you cant just allow your opponent to stop+go, and if checked to, you must bet in such a giant pot.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also note that a player at any level would be CORRECT to pay off on an ace high or king high flop w QQ in this spot, with only 395 behind. Not because of pot odds of course, but because you cant just allow your opponent to stop+go, and if checked to, you must bet in such a giant pot .

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow this. If I have QQ in this situation (395 behind, A or K on flop, checked to) I am checking behind. If I bet and he has no A or no K, he's going to fold and I get nothing. If he has an A or a K, he calls and I'm toast. If I check behind, when he has an A or K I still lose on the turn or river, but I would have lost if I bet on the flop anyway. If he has no A and no K he may bluff on the turn or the river and then I win something where if I had bet the flop I would have won nothing.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also note that a player at any level would be CORRECT to pay off on an ace high or king high flop w QQ in this spot, with only 395 behind. Not because of pot odds of course, but because you cant just allow your opponent to stop+go, and if checked to, you must bet in such a giant pot .

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow this. If I have QQ in this situation (395 behind, A or K on flop, checked to) I am checking behind. If I bet and he has no A or no K, he's going to fold and I get nothing. If he has an A or a K, he calls and I'm toast. If I check behind, when he has an A or K I still lose on the turn or river, but I would have lost if I bet on the flop anyway. If he has no A and no K he may bluff on the turn or the river and then I win something where if I had bet the flop I would have won nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is that the pot is gigantic compared to your stack and thus you should be less apt to give free cards, especially since your opponent might not bluff if they have nothing anyway. In any case that wasn't my point, my point was that all your money is going to go in the pot anyway with QQ and an overcard on the flop, and that doesn't make you a "donk"
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 AM

CO has 520 chips. I'd be curious to know why.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM

very good point...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 AM

One of the lessons I've had to learn while moving from $10's-$50's, is that making laydowns like this will greatly improve your success rate. Yes, you may have the best hand here, by why push this small edge at level 1? Aces, kings, queens? Sure, call or shove it in. It may help if you shift your mindset from thinking about the cards you hold, and consider your stack and the level that your in. IMO, calling is worst here as you want to preserve as much FE as you can. I can understand a shove, especially at the $10's, but I think as you move up, you need to feel good about letting this go. I wish I had the same discipline with my MTT game.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:49 PM

I couldnt agree more with you here. I think most of these people responding to this thread are players in the higher buy in sngs. They may be forced to push these small edges earlier in sngs, but in the lower stakes ones, we should preserve our chips and wait for a better opportunity. We should be able to outplay most at the table, so why negate our edge with a coin flip this early.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:52 PM

I disagree. I think most of the people responding here are 10-20 players... as higher buy in players understand that level 1 with AK is not a place to take a flip, with that kind of preflop action. I'd rather push any 2 on the bubble than take a flip like this.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 PM

You are confusing me here...you agree with my statement, just not with my assumption about the buy ins of the people responding....at least thats what i hope because i agreed with the say you said you would play this and i would also rather push any 2 on the bubble than make this push here.

if the people responding to this are smaller stakes players, then i hope they sit at my table. i just dont understand why people play this hand this hard this early...this isnt a made hand, why risk everything this early on a drawing hand...just doesnt make sense to me.