Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (22) Am I missing something on how to play AK (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364104)

golfcchs 10-24-2005 03:16 AM

(22) Am I missing something on how to play AK

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

BB (t800)
UTG (t740)
UTG+1 (t785)
MP1 (t710)
MP2 (t885)
MP3 (t1725)
CO (t520)
Button (t1050)
Hero (t785)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG calls, 4 folds, Co raise to 125, 1 fold, Hero raise all in

Flop: (t22.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(9 players)</font>

Turn: (t22.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(9 players)</font>

River: (t22.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(9 players)</font>

Is there a better way then this to play AK?

flyingmoose 10-24-2005 04:35 AM

Re: (22) Am I missing something on how to play AK

I auto-fold this.

Bigwig 10-24-2005 04:37 AM

EDIT--Nevermind. I reread the scenario.

This is not a good spot. I'm not opposed to calling here. But with the UTG limper, and the blinds so small, I cannot recommend a reraise.

tigerite 10-24-2005 04:48 AM

Got to agree. I mean, sure, pushing AK is fine when there's 20-50% of your stack in the pot most times, but not when someone has raised as much as 125 - they aren't going to fold, and you're just going to be in a race. Unless he's a total donk that is who raises with crap, but I doubt you can have a read like that at level 1.

You're one of the better players at the table, or should be - let it go.

ilya 10-24-2005 06:00 AM

Wow I'm really surprised to see people recommending a fold. I would push or stop &amp; go.

curtains 10-24-2005 06:04 AM

You should move allin. CO is shortstacked and made a ridiculously large raise, and thus probably sucks. You are probably a clear favorite against his range of hands.

I have folded AKo in situations SIMILAR to this in the past, but in this one there are just too many positives to fold.

Slim Pickens 10-24-2005 06:07 AM

I call this. He's not letting it go preflop if you push, and if you play it right, players the 22's with QQ will pay off a king-high flop a lot of the time. I'm checking that flop since you'll almost never want to lead at someone with QQ, JJ, or a donk with AQ or AJ. You're either trapping or letting it go.

curtains 10-24-2005 06:09 AM

We do realize our opponent only has lkie 400 chips after the raise? Also we might WANT our opponent to call as they could easily have something like AQ, AJ, KQ who knows....worst thing to do is call and fold on the flop when your opponent whiffed with AJ and you missed with AK.

I'm not willing to flat call for 125 in a tiny pot with the plan of folding for 400 more if I miss, aganist a range that could be quite wide.

Scuba Chuck 10-24-2005 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We do realize our opponent only has lkie 400 chips after the raise? Also we might WANT our opponent to call as they could easily have something like AQ, AJ, KQ who knows....worst thing to do is call and fold on the flop when your opponent whiffed with AJ and you missed with AK.

I'm not willing to flat call for 125 in a tiny pot with the plan of folding for 400 more if I miss, aganist a range that could be quite wide.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. I think of this hand precisely the same way. And I like pushing or folding, and frankly, I'm prolly a pussy here.

curtains 10-24-2005 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call this. He's not letting it go preflop if you push, and if you play it right, players the 22's with QQ will pay off a king-high flop a lot of the time. I'm checking that flop since you'll almost never want to lead at someone with QQ, JJ, or a donk with AQ or AJ. You're either trapping or letting it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also note that a player at any level would be CORRECT to pay off on an ace high or king high flop w QQ in this spot, with only 395 behind. Not because of pot odds of course, but because you cant just allow your opponent to stop+go, and if checked to, you must bet in such a giant pot.