Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: An explanation to NOT push preflop..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like this too, but not when they runner runner on me...This was awful raptor, choose your spots better next time..

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? i suck out on you or something? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

In your Bad beat original post they went runner-runner to beat you ehich is what he is reffering to.

As for the hand, with those stack sizes and only 4 left I will often take the flop here unless I feel that pushing will have meta-game benefits for the remainder of the tourney (i.e. more walk-overs).

[/ QUOTE ]

same to you apathetic batch. that wanst my post. i took it from another thread. i dont make bad beat posts like that. thankyou for agreeing with a check. it must be something with the level difference from the 11s-33s and the 55s-215s. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW...I also agree with the check, I love to see a flop with this hand here. Pushing every SB completion is just no fun anyway.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 PM

In bigger MTT's, one thing I've started doing lately is making some aggro blind plays and then open completing, say, A7 or K9 or something.

I've had more people raise my Axx/Kxx minbet with air and then push on the turn in the last two weeks than I can count. Because, you know, I completed so I can't have an ace.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In bigger MTT's, one thing I've started doing lately is making some aggro blind plays and then open completing, say, A7 or K9 or something.

I've had more people raise my Axx/Kxx minbet with air and then push on the turn in the last two weeks than I can count. Because, you know, I completed so I can't have an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big of a stack do you need for this?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont make bad beat posts like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 in a row. holllllaaaaa!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 06:00 PM

I think it goes without saying, but it constant pushing depends on whether you think you can out play your opponent after the flop...Hopefully most people should be playing at a level where their skills are equivalent, thus they would not need to push very often and can rake bigger pots by doing so.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it goes without saying, but it constant pushing depends on whether you think you can out play your opponent after the flop...Hopefully most people should be playing at a level where their skills are equivalent, thus they would not need to push very often and can rake bigger pots by doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

With these few chips, outplaying's pretty difficult. If both of you make a decent hand, this is gonna be all in, and if neither of you do, first to bet wins. Hopefully people are playing at a level where their skills are better so they can win.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:10 PM

I think pushing here is far superior to any other alternative.

I get "trapped" with K4, T9, etc. here, too... but a play doesn't need to be 100% successful to be hugely +EV.

If they fold here >70% of the time (which they do), you will experience runs of SNGs where you get called 5,6,7 times in a row and lose, or whatever.

Whenever there's a pot sized at 25% of your stack, and your opponent is more than 50% likely to fold... you should be making that bet/raise.

Raptor, you know you are allowed to go back to school without forgetting how to play SNGs. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Irieguy
Old 08-30-2005, 06:22 PM

I say in my experience Irie, they fold closer to 90% of the time.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say in my experience Irie, they fold closer to 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just wrong. i just to 'trapped' in a 22 on the bubble by K2 for a 4300 chip pot. yay. dont get me wrong though, i dont think shoving is a bad play.. but you should consider taking a flop sometimes. holla
Old 08-30-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the 55s and especially lower, your opposition is fairly clueless to what you normally do and only after you push to their completion once or twice *in a row* will they realize what's going on.

In the situation you describe as a general rule I see pushing as more profitable than checking and playing a flop (this can be also be profitable but less so).

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

A good-size raise but not a push here can often accomplish the same thing while delaying the point when "they realize what's going on". At the lower limits, after repeated pushes, opponents are more likely to loosen their calling standards and call or push just to show you you can't bully them.

Depending on all the usual "it depends" stuff, a raise may imply a more powerful hand than a push. A raise is especially scary to opponents after a couple of pushes. Many low limit players will just raise here with a monster, hoping for a call or raise. If you are going to push with air, a raise can look stronger in the right circumstances.