Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Raising junk preflop with skilled flop play (no content)

SB=OP...it even says so ...read it for yourself.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raising 42o from the blinds vs limpers can improve shania.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can also exacerbate IBS and various other illnesses with psychosomatic influences.

-kyo
Old 06-17-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since when do winning players pass up clearly +EV situations? (4:1 pot odds, 2:1 chance of win).

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed the part where raising OOP with 2-4os was considered +EV.

I'm pretty sure if you run a simulation with 2-4 offsuit against the kinds of hands players will call raises with... you're going to be throwing away money.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lancey Howard: Gets down to what it's all about, doesn't it? Making the wrong move at the right time.
Cincinnati Kid: Is that what it's all about?
Lancey Howard: Like life, I guess. You're good, kid, but as long as I'm around you're second best. You might as well learn to live with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it before you all cricitize his play in this hand.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's called 'reading your opponent's hand'. People have written entire books about it. You know this so why are you being facetious?

[/ QUOTE ]

So your reads are so good that you can put them on exactly an A-high bluff and a draw? Reading hands involves putting your opponents on a range of hands, not just picking two you are ahead of and calling. If your reads are this good, you clearly should be pimpslapping Mahatma in the UB 50/100 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just ace-high; a reverse-dominated ace high. Basically, you made a seriously -EV preflop play to put yourself in a position where, if you caught lightning in a bottle in the form of very poor play by your opponents plus your reads being not only spot on, but actually MORE favorable than you could have expected... you could make a modestly profitable call.

I understand you're proud of the pot you took down here, and I share some of your disaffection for the tight-weak strategies advocated, in my opinion, by people who lack proper confidence in their reads. But this is not a "selective shot." Where is your advantage? Position? Your position is terrible. Controlling the betting? You're facing two pushes! Hand selection? Well...

It's easy to pat yourself on the back about your "killer read" when it all works out, but any number of other equally likely (more likely, actually; A2?) holdings that still "felt" the same, such as an ace with a live kicker or a mediocre overpair, would have made your call extremely dicey or a big dog. There's just nothing about this play to recommend it, other than that it worked, and that as we should all know is never an endorsement in and of itself. With absolutely no disrespect intended, you have to get over the high, check your ego and look at this play far more critically. What if this were someone else's post?

EDIT: After reading the rest of this thread, should I go ahead and muck this post?

And Shania doesn't need improving. That bitch looks GOOD. Always has, possibly always will, if the wonders of the 21st century ever get here..
Old 06-17-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you telling me this is an elaborate joke by the OP?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The hand is real, and I am Hero. At a new table I make a move once in a while with total junk and show it. The fish and Matt Damon types can't believe their eyes and have it in for me all night. I should have taken this pot down pf but when two short stacks called and pushed I figured this would be even better for my image. I fully expected to be a 6:1 dog here or worse. I'd never in a million years dream of calling this with bottom pair, bottom kicker.

There were some lines which IMO should have given the gag away (apart from the 'no content' in the title):

Why wait for the nuts if you've got a solid read?

Seriously man, poker is about intuition, you got to break out of the 'nutpeddle' mindset that runs rampant on this board.

I can guarantee you no other 2+2 SSNLer would have netted $80 profit here.

Sure you can say that's results oriented, but isn't poker about getting results?

It's called 'reading your opponent's hand'. People have written entire books about it. You know this so why are you being facetious?

Some of my favorite replies:
[ QUOTE ]

I would consider folding AA here

I would LOVE to have you at my table after seeing this..i'd wait till I had the nuts and push so your "read" could pay off.

You made a dumb play and got lucky. Nothing in this thread has convinced me otherwise.

Now I think that if your read was that strong then it wasn't a terrible play

Because not many of us are retarded enough to make a play like this.

That is one of the fishiest plays ive seen in a while.

Zorro, I like your posts and all, but I also think you're going a bit overboard on this one. I'll have to agree that this is just dumb luck.

If your reads are this good, you clearly should be pimpslapping Mahatma in the UB 50/100 game. (my favorite)

You can't expect to profit out of the blinds raising hands of this caliber. (second favorite)

Worst play I have seen in ages......Most entertaining thread i have read in ages.

EDIT: After reading the rest of this thread, should I go ahead and muck this post?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm just glad no one advocated this play like they did in ZeeJustin's post.

SSNL p3ned. Onward and upward!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:11 PM

WTF PWNED.

Awesome.

A friend of mine is talking about authoring a book: The Theory And Practice of Results-Based Poker. The cover illustration features a cartoon raven proclaiming the author's motto: CAW! Call And Win!

Early topic ideas include:

"The Play of Colored Connectors."

"T5o - Hey, EVERY Straight Needs A Ten Or A Five!"

"Dare To Draw To Pairs!"

Additional information upcoming, depending on whether he can collaborate with the publishers of Donk/System.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Early topic ideas include:

"The Play of Colored Connectors."

"T5o - Hey, EVERY Straight Needs A Ten Or A Five!"

"Dare To Draw To Pairs!"

[/ QUOTE ]

i love it.

also didnt catch the whole thread and was boggled by the 4-2 all in call.

hehe
Old 06-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Dude Zoro, your game selection skills OWN.

Nice hand [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 09:26 PM

I'm with you on this one, 42o with bottom pair NO KICKER on the flop and 2 cards to come?

If he makes this play regularly, he's welcome to my table, EVERY DAY! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Calling Station of the day play!

No more text, I will not discourage this... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-Bri