Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: For the Checkers : turn action ?

I think this is the most important thread I've seen here in a while, because this is a situation that comes up quite often.

I believe one of the keys to NL is defining your hand. Betting on the flop gives you a better idea where you are at. Checking does not.

Why not give your opponents another chance to fold? By taking a free card you are also giving the TWO of them a free chance to out flop you, AGAIN!

Also you just may have the best hand here, get the money in now!

p.s. If the flop bet is called, I would suspect real strengh here, THEN I take the free card [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In poker, I always tend to err on the side of aggression.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Diamond falls, I'm betting 1/2 pot 80% of the time; 1/3 pot 10%; and 2/3 10%.

A or K hits. 2/3 80%; 1/2 10%; 3/4 10%

If I'm re-raised all-in, I'm almost always calling with the A & K and often calling with the diamond (depending on pot odds and the player).
Old 07-20-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe one of the keys to NL is defining your hand. Betting on the flop gives you a better idea where you are at. Checking does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This situation is a spot where it is so easy to for you to make a mistake with your bet size. One of they keys to online MTTs (if you are an aggressive player)is avoid betting yourself into a favorable call. Which will be the case with many bets here. If each player had 1200 behind, this would be a VERY different problem. Many players just throw out a standard continuation bet (like I did) without thinking the situation through.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Thinking ahead with continuation bets

I like to check here and take the free card. Though you might have the best hand, two things can happen, they think your slow playing and check the turn in which case I would bet 100% of the time, but will not invest another nickell the rest of the hand. And there is nothing wrong with trying to play for a small pot and checking all the way down. when you have nothing you just don't have nothing.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM

thats the Key to this hand , the Stack size of the callers in relation to the pot size.

If one or both callers had 1500+ behind I would bet out the flop at a higher rate here, but not when they both have around 700-800.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:04 PM

Haven't read the entire thread, but I've seen nothing here to convince me a raise of as little as 100 TC would suffice, maybe even give you the hand. If they call, expect a pair of 9s, if they raise, a set--but I suspect they would both fold to even a smaller bet if they hit less on the flop.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:17 PM

I fully agree. On this board, I'm checking AK as well as aces and probably kings. There just isn't much out there to be a threat and if they have you beat now they're most likely not folding.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both betting and checking here is fine. You don't mind seeing a free turn but betting will win the pot most of the time.

Good spot to not be predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this response more than all the others I've seen. Good on ya Durron!

One has to change up one's strategy in these situations so that you are not self-weighting your actions.

I tend to do a variety on things in these kinds of situations. A lot depends on the strength of the opponents, how tricky may seem to try to be, what the recent action has been like, etc.

In many cases like this, especially when I have a significantly larger stack and my opponents have shown a propensity to allow themselves to be pushed around, then I will do just that, put them to a decision for all of their marbles.

On the other hand, if I am up against some players how like to do cutesie plays like trying to check raise a medium pair like 88 or TT or even top pair, then I often accept that I might be behind and opt for the free card hoping to outdraw on the turn.

In my limited online tournament experience, that is the thing that I've seen the most. Some players are so predictable that it is often difficult to not know the proper course of action.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 PM

I've certainly had more than my share lately, but on a more honest note, I do much better waiting for others to overplay hands than I do from "stealing" hands. In the example given I don't believe either of these opponents is folding a hand I am ahead of right now. If I had a big hand I wouldn't bet it here so I will play my AK the same way.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:31 PM

I think your comments are a perfect example of why there are so many different ways to play NL holdem, and to be successful. I think the only thing that's really important here is that your play here be consistent with how you play the rest of the hands.

I don't think there is a right answer here, but I do think that you will be re-raised all-in by anyone who does play, so there won't be a free turn card.