Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS????

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Breaking News from ABCNEWS.com:

FEDERAL JUDGE DECLARES IT UNCONSTITUTIONAL TO RECITE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Something needs to be done about this

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Stef [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

they havent said them in schools here in over 15 years
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thank God. Nobody in a free democratic country should be made to pledge anything. No child needs mind control.

It sounds like the kind of thing that will go nowhere, though. The country has permanently turned down a road toward the integration of religion and government.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have absolutely been on fire of late.

[/ QUOTE ]

It must be his grips of steel shiznit. I mean, Blarg was a beast before all of that training but now he just is pwning everything in sight. He and Gorie should hook it up and create an OOT behemoth the likes of which this world has not yet seen.

Yugoslav
Old 09-14-2005, 07:12 PM

I thought this was ruled on by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals a year or two ago, the court with the highest rate of overturned decisions by the Supreme Court. The case was pushed by that creepy guy who was using his daughter as his own political tool.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was ruled on by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals a year or two ago, the court with the highest rate of overturned decisions by the Supreme Court. The case was pushed by that creepy guy who was using his daughter as his own political tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Supremes never ruled on this (they said the dude had no standing because he didn't have custody of his daughter).

So, now he ran out and found a parent with standing to bring it up again. Thats right - it is the same guy who brought the first case who is doing it again.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Carter appointed judge (dinosaur) makes ruling against the will of the people in California.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will of the people, eh? Just to check consistency here, do you accede to the will of the people when they vote for physician-assisted suicide or medical marijuana?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:22 PM

OK now what about this?? The pledge is not ok but this is??? Im convinced these are the reasons this country is in the state that it's in... cnn news
please if Im in the wrong forum....dont freak....let me know, as I said earlier...Im not a pro like some 2+2ers

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Stef [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK now what about this?? The pledge is not ok but this is??? Im convinced these are the reasons this country is in the state that it's in... cnn news
please if Im in the wrong forum....dont freak....let me know, as I said earlier...Im not a pro like some 2+2ers

[/ QUOTE ]

No, prayer in schools is also not OK.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:41 PM

I don't have a problem with this, but then again I don't have a problem with "See You At The Pole"-type events where students (Christian) gather to pray.

What I do have a problem with are cases where the government or its proxies (in these cases, administrators or teachers) lead prayers or other religious activities, or host official events (graduations, football games) at which such activities occur.

To me, there is a huge difference between the two types of case.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first post is about a goverment (taxpayer) funded entity forcing people to recite affirmations regarding the existance of God.

The second post is about a student who is seeking permission to use her free time to pray on her own and who happens to be Muslim. No one makes a fuss when Christians pray on their own time either.

Apples and oranges.

Also, I think the "the reasons this country is in the state that it's in" is because of hysterical, question mark abusing internet posts (one question mark is sufficient).
Old 09-14-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FEDERAL JUDGE DECLARES IT UNCONSTITUTIONAL TO force students to RECITE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE containing a religious affirmation IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS in violation of their First Amendment rights

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty straightforward, actually.