Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Recent 109 hand that had me stumped.

This is the 2nd hand of a 109 single, I have no info on any of the players. On the turn I am pretty sure I am behind, but I don't know if I can justify laying down AA here. Any input?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 (t1270)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t970)
MP3 (t1000)
CO (t1000)
Button (t990)
SB (t985)
BB (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, UTG+1 calls t75, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t75, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t307.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t225</font>
UTG+1 Folds
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t895 and is allin</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB calls t895</font>

Hero = ?

I can post the results later if you want.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Recent 109 hand that had me stumped.

The BB's call on this board makes it a fold.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The BB's call on this board makes it a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Are you worried about flopped straights with a suited 1 gapper or just a set?
If its only the latter he can have JJ or AT 18 ways here and a set only 9.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? Are you worried about flopped straights with a suited 1 gapper or just a set?
If its only the latter he can have JJ or AT 18 ways here and a set only 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like 2 pair. T8 and 86 are very possible. So is a hand like JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], which has me beat right now but I have the odds to call since the third guy's dead money...but combined, I'm a dog.

Once in a great while he'll have kings or be a complete idiot, but it's not worth it.

edit: [ QUOTE ]
Smells like semi-bluffing a nut flush draw, called by a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be very careful about generalizations like that for the raiser. He can have a lot of hands, and I would specifically *not* give him much credit for a draw (although I almost certainly have him beat.)
Old 01-12-2005, 06:15 PM

Smells like semi-bluffing a nut flush draw, called by a set. What other reasonable hands could have made that play? It's possible that MP2 thinks you've completely missed and tried to re-steal. BB might have an overpair. But that might be overly optimistic.

How often would AA be best in a situation like this?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:34 PM

I would reluctantly fold. Two people at the $100s like their hand that much, and I am out with AA. I think the chances that one of them doesn't have 2 pair or better is pretty slim. I'd be pretty surprised if neither had a set. Please post results!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:01 PM

Ya, fold and move on. Even IF you are only vs top pair and a draw, you are going broke about 50% of the time. Likely a set here though.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 PM

If you had the As, how does your thought process on the hand change? Does your hand get better because it has the backdoor flush, or worse because it reduces the likelihood of someone else going all-in with a flush draw?

I never played the $109s. How often do you see fishy chasers, i.e., will BB ever have As2s here? I assume QsJs or JsTs are possible... But how often will you see a call here from someone holding any two broadway spades? Or from crap like KTo?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I never played the $109s. How often do you see fishy chasers, i.e., will BB ever have As2s here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not often.

eastbay
Old 01-13-2005, 02:35 AM

I was playing a $109, caught two pair on the flop (two tone), bet out from last position but could not shake the draws, and a third flush card hit on the turn. Folded around to me, I bet out to protect my hand (mistake), and the first player went all in . . . and then the second player went all in . . . and then the third player went all in. Without enough time to run the numbers, I joined the party (hoping for a full house on the river -- slim odds, I realized only later). Part of my thinking, I suppose, was that they couldn't *all* have made hands (although part of me knew that at least *one* of them did). Au contraire -- they all had flushes, and the third to bet took the pot with an ace high flush. So, yeah, when there are multiple all ins at this level, it is usually the case that someone has the goods.

Edit: Except, in this case, me.