Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: How playable is 5/10 full?

It is easily the worst game on PP. Avoid it like the plague.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:13 AM

I've just tried out 5/10 full on party for the first time. Jumped directly from 2/4 and that's a huuge difference. Have only played 2k hands so far and been running bad too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
AA, QQ, JJ are all in red numbers in PT :P
Only had them a combined 32 times but it's still annoying.

Like some above posters pointed out it's extremely aggressive compared to 2/4 and probably 3/6 too. Often just 2 or 3 players at the table with a PFR below 10 and post-ag below 2. Most pots are shorthanded with 2 or 3 players and you rarely get an opportunity to limp with low pockets and suited aces.
The aggression compared to 2/4 has been giving me a headache when playing a missed AK for example since i've been raised twice on the turn by players with a gutshot draw. ofc the suckers hit it on the river both times...

I still think it's definitely beatable but table selection is crucial.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:16 AM

I've played tons of hands at this limit (none recently and they were almost all BBJ) and I don't really know what to make of it. Part of the time I was playing it I was playing well and part of the time I was playing in a very odd fashion. I was the 2nd tighest player on there for a while and turned a profit over 50k+ hands so it can't be that bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Overall I would say that I was playing pretty poorly and I did meh at it.

If you do decide to do it, stick to the BBJ tables imo (when it is big enough). They can get pretty good at times.

Brad
Old 08-16-2005, 02:23 AM

Same here, 2/4 to 5/10. Not too much of a difference monetary wise as my bankroll can handle it.
Like you said, nearing almost 1k hands myself and if you ever try to limp, you get isolated.
I'm up right now and the games are definitely beatable but I just think it's not worth this much at this level.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see a higher BB/100 on 15/30 than 5/10 if someone had a large number of hands at each.

15/30 has more pros, and the postflop play is generally better, but 5/10 doesn't have as many drunken tards or compulsive gamblers calling you down with 8 hi after you capped the turn.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:44 AM

I'm glad you made this post, because I've been contemplating making a similar one. I have put in around 12k hands at 5/10 since July 1. Some days there will be 5 excellent tables running all night, but many days even the night games are terrible and I have to play 3/6.

I am still undecided about playing more 5/10, or moving up to 10/20 and 15/30. It seems like there are very few 10/20 tables going at PP at any given time, so I wonder whether anyone actually uses it as their bread-and-butter game. At the same time, I'd rather use it as a stepping stone to 15/30 than make the leap cold.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:04 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Screw 5/10. Stay at 3/6 until you have the roll for 15/30.

[/ QUOTE ]

most people can't handle that move. if you can, you're the exception to the rule. that is a big jump
Old 08-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised to see a higher BB/100 on 15/30 than 5/10 if someone had a large number of hands at each.

15/30 has more pros, and the postflop play is generally better, but 5/10 doesn't have as many drunken tards or compulsive gamblers calling you down with 8 hi after you capped the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 15 games aren't very good anymore. a few months ago I might agree with you. this is all based on what I've heard. I haven't played those games since they opened the 30 tables
Old 08-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Saying 5/10 full is the worst game on party is an oversimplification. While I agree that most players will have a lower BB won per 100 hands at this level than any other, it is still often way more profitable than 2/4 and 3/6 for many players for 2 major reasons

1) making .9 BB/100 hands at 5/10 is still better than making 2 BB/100 hands at 2/4.

2) the rake at 5/10 allows people with rakeback deals to earn significantly more at this level than 2/4 and 3/6 (the rake jump from 5/10 to 15/30 is not nearly as noticable). This often allows breakeven and slim winning 5/10 players to bring in more per hour than they would playing 2/4 or 3/6.

Keep in mind people, at the end of the day, BBs won per 100 hands is mostly an ego thing... all that matters is how much money you are making.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:11 AM

there are 2 huge advantages of playing 5/10 6-max (or 3/6)

1. more money
2. critical for your future success. at full games you get the easy (big multiway pots) with the difficult (shorthanded) situations. at 6-max you only get the difficult for the most part. the games are still good though because our opponents are even worse at the tough spots. it's like low limit full games are a golf game where you only putt if you get on the green in regulation. 6-max games are normal. you get a lot more work on your short game, which is critical if you want to continue. most pots in the mid limit games online are shorthanded

so you make more and learn more.