Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Starting to multitable

When I first started playing online poker, I had trouble following the action at one table. I stayed with one table for 5 months, then went to 2-3 for a while, etc., etc., now I 8-table.

Stick with 1-2 until you're comfortable with 2. Then you can try 3, etc.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:05 PM

Yep, good advice. I moved up from one table, then two tables, then three and four. I suggest playing two at a time first. When you get to the point that you're just sitting there waiting for something to happen/reading these forums in between moves, then add another table.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:06 PM

Why would you fourtable if you are not comfortable twotabling.

Just twotable until you start feeling like you are getting bored (and you will). Then add another table. Rinse and repeat.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:14 PM

Default any 12 tablers left?

what ever happened to 12-tablers? did this style go out of fashion? was it just too difficult to maintain?

seems like 8 tabling is the preference these days.

to damian (op),
what site are you playing on? i only ask because the sites with deeper stacks/ slower blind escalation require more postflop play and are therefore more difficult to multitable (imo). i think the way to go is start with the lowest limits and gradually increase tables. then go up a limit and start with less tables and increase accordingly.

remember, adding more tables decreases expected roi, therefore it would behoove you to have a bigger bankroll than you would ordinarily have for just single tabling.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:20 PM

That's been my approach too; adding one table at time when I feel like I have time to spare.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: any 12 tablers left?

I play on VCpoker & Sporting odds

VC starting chips 2K, S/O 1.5K

So yes you do see more post flop play as people have deeper stacks.

Thanks for the all the advice guys, have stepped down to 2 tables at the mo, going to have a bash at three at the weekend. Am playing the 50c/$1/$2 tables to get a feel for it - seems to be going ok - but then the standard of play is really poor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Damian

[ QUOTE ]

to damian (op),
what site are you playing on? i only ask because the sites with deeper stacks/ slower blind escalation require more postflop play and are therefore more difficult to multitabl

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2005, 03:17 PM

play on party or a skin. you will multitable easier with higher hourly rate.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

remember, adding more tables decreases expected roi, therefore it would behoove you to have a bigger bankroll than you would ordinarily have for just single tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone keeps saying this but when I went from 4 tabling to 8 tabling there was no difference in ROI..In fact I am doing better now with ROI as I fixed some bubble leaks in my game. I guess some peoples ROI drops some when moving up tables but this is not the same for everyone.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Im just about to buy 2 more dells and start 12-16 tabling. I find 8 a piece of cake now and seem to have time to do other things while 8 tabling. I am going to try and be the first 2+2er to 16 table these things. I know my ROI will drop when moving to 16 tabling but my hourly rate will be incredible.

wish me luck.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone keeps saying this but when I went from 4 tabling to 8 tabling there was no difference in ROI..In fact I am doing better now with ROI as I fixed some bubble leaks in my game. I guess some peoples ROI drops some when moving up tables but this is not the same for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously, my original statement implied that the expected roi for a certain person's "A game" will be less when multitabling than single tabling. of course, if you weren't playing your "A game" while 4 tabling and only learned your "A game" while 8 tabling then obviously your roi will go up (because you have gotten better by "fixing leaks"!!!) it should be noted that the "A game" is a theoretical concept and is merely used for illustrative purposes here. im not entirely sure if an "A game" actually exists. but i digress.

the point is, your roi went up because you got better at the game, not because you increased tables. so my initial statement stands, assuming the same skill level, the greater the number of tables the less your actual roi will be. (excluding some individual psychological factors that i wont discuss here).

unless you want to argue that by decreasing the reads you have on your opponents and the amount of undivided attention each individual game receives you somehow can perform with greater efficacy in beating the game.