Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Played like a girlie-man? 2-4 party, trip T\'s

You've got to 3-bet that turn. BB could have a HUGE range of hands here, especially if you read him as being a little aggro postflop. He could have any pocket pair below 10s, trips with a smaller kicker, a pair and a draw, etc.

Why, if you're worried about a flush and straight draw (which is why you only called the river), do you want to keep Button in the hand? I'm not saying that you want him out (getting paid off is good), but why not charge him extra to draw? He's going to call 2 more bets with a flush draw, and he may do the same with the straight draw. You're holding the winner about 85-90% of the time here - this is not the time to save bets. Ram and jam on the turn.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM

I'm not putting him on a draw. I'm putting him on a range of hands including potentially a draw. And the best play against the range of hands I put him on is to raise the turn.

Krishan
Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given a BB w/ VP$IP% of 30%, what hand do you put his check-raise on?

Guys, and this is very important:

When the BB sees the flop for free, he did not choose his cards. The stat means nothing. And there's a huge difference between preflop and postflop tightness. 3-bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the correlation is between pre-flop tightness and post-flop tightness? > 0? I'm definitely in the "positive correlation" camp.. so like i said, i equate VP$IP% with someone's affinity for any 2 cards, even when they see the flop for free in the blind.

On another note, when does one get to choose his cards? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I want in on that game!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:04 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

First, there are many more combinations of 10x that would play this hand the same way that villain did that u beat than there are combinations of hands that beat you. It makes it much more likely that you are still ahead. 3 bet the turn every time. Second, your correlation b/t pre- and post-flop "tightness" is fallacious (assuming that you interchange tightness for aggression or rather, lack of passivity). Anybody can read a poker book and become TA pre-flop, but have no idea how to play post flop. How many people have u seen with 18/7 PF statistics or some other TA range that have ~ 1 Post-flop aggro numbers. I myself, have always been TA PF b/c i know how to read, but am just beginning to realize how to play better and more aggressively post-flop .
Old 01-19-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kIf you're that sure he'll fold for two, what makes you so sure he'll call one? And I'm positive he doesn't have AcKc. But if he did have two clubs why wouldn't you wan't him to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he had AcKc either. What I said is that AcKc is the only possible hand where I could see him cold-calling 2 on the turn check-raise (and me 3-betting).

My read was that the button was on a weak draw at best, and would fold easily. I put the BB check-raise on a made full house, very strong draw (like AcKc), or trips like me.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not putting him on a draw. I'm putting him on a range of hands including potentially a draw. And the best play against the range of hands I put him on is to raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the range of hands?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Kem..you did play this hand like a girlie man. You leave too much $$ on the table when you play this passively. Don't do it. 3-bet the turn.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, there are many more combinations of 10x that would play this hand the same way that villain did that u beat than there are combinations of hands that beat you. It makes it much more likely that you are still ahead. 3 bet the turn every time. Second, your correlation b/t pre- and post-flop "tightness" is fallacious (assuming that you interchange tightness for aggression or rather, lack of passivity). Anybody can read a poker book and become TA pre-flop, but have no idea how to play post flop. How many people have u seen with 18/7 PF statistics or some other TA range that have ~ 1 Post-flop aggro numbers. I myself, have always been TA PF b/c i know how to read, but am just beginning to realize how to play better and more aggressively post-flop .

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you agree that weak-tight and loose-aggressive are more prevalent than tight-aggressive and weak-loose players?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kem..you did play this hand like a girlie man. You leave too much $$ on the table when you play this passively. Don't do it. 3-bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think I should 3-bet the turn, although I probably think it's a closer decision than most here.

What about the river? Raise it or call it? Scare card falls, BB bets, button to act after you... call or raise?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Preflop: Fold
Flop: Bet
Turn: Bet, 3-bet!
River: If BB leads this street after your turn 3-bet, I just call. If he checks, bet.