Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Default An AJo hand...

Party super Tuesday. I've got ~T1200. Blinds are 50/100. I'm pretty new to the table, so not much in the way of reads.

I get AJo on the button. Big stack (~T4000) open limps from MP (I'd seen about 5 hands at this table, and he'd limped in at least one of them, fwiw). Shortstack in the cutoff goes all-in for 240. What do you do?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: An AJo hand...

Fold. Perhaps thats too tight but I don't want to get involved now.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:28 PM

I's probably fold. Would consider pushing with AQs or better.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:32 PM

I say flat call if the BB comes along fine, play a careful flop and if he makes a big bet you can get out.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:57 PM

Default Results

Interesting. I thought this was a pretty easy push with just 12x the BB left. I want to isolate the all-in because I think he pushes with all kinds of hands that I beat here, and even a coinflip is significantly +EV if I can isolate.

I push. Everyone else folds. All-in has KJ and I bust him and get 250 more from the blinds+the limper.

Worked out this time, I was curious if my play was standard or if others would have played it differently. I can see folding. I don't really like flat calling 1/5 of my stack) If an ace flops, are you willing to put in all your chips?
Old 07-28-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Results

I don't know the blind structure of the Super Tuesday, but unless I have reason to believe that the big stack is going to limp with AA/KK, I would push here too, assuming we're far from the money.

Though, I'm trying to find ways to build my stack recently because I've been playing so tight that I play less than one hand/two orbits usually unless I get a chance to try to steal when it's folded to me in LP.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know the blind structure of the Super Tuesday, but unless I have reason to believe that the big stack is going to limp with AA/KK, I would push here too, assuming we're far from the money.
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, far from the money. Starting stacks in all Party tournaments is 1000, just FYI.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 PM

Yeah; it's weird, on PokerRoom some tourneys start with T1500, others start with T1000.

Given how big the blinds are relative to your stack, I think this is an easy push because the shortstack could be pushing with a lot of things and you need to start taking less solid chances to start getting chips.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:03 PM

As I said last night...i really like this push. This is a good example of how people who struggle to accumulate chips can ratchet up the aggression with a little less risk.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:23 PM

the push is probably better, I read it quick, didn't realize the call was that much of your stack.