Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Play Along: Tell me what to do with my aces

Ok, so this is an embarrassing post, which is just what I deserve for being such a ninny.

Ugh, I thought for a bit (not very long) and just couldn't put CO on anything other than QJ. And I know that's really stupid because there's no way to narrow anyone's hand down to a range so narrow.

What hands would a solid player cold-call two pre-flop, cold-call a raise on a dangerous board on the flop, and then bet out into a big field that has shown aggression when the most scary card possible falls?

In the midst of this confusion, my inner ninny spoke up and said to me, "you still have outs to a boat if the board pairs, why don't you just call and you can raise on the river when you're sure you have the best hand?"

To my shame I listened and called. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 03:53 AM

So, hero has to raise here, right?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero
Old 09-14-2005, 04:01 AM

Actually on the river a call is probably better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Reason is you just want to win the maximum if you are best right? Best way to do that is probably to go for overcalls, especially since you are not sure you have the bettor beaten. Also you lose less if you are behind QJ.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:04 AM

Collects overcalls.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:20 AM

Ok good, I actually called the river too. Glad to see I got one part right.

It's strange looking at this hand because normally I seem to get myself into trouble by being overaggressive. I've been trying to lower my aggression levels for over a month now and have had trouble doing it. I think I just have a really bad feel right now for when aggression is appropriate and when it's more important to get to a showdown. Hopefully you guys will be able to knock some sense into me eventually.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Oh, and CO had 88. I missed out on a lot of money...
Old 09-14-2005, 04:25 AM

hell i'd probably even cap the turn like you said you have outs if you are behind and i doubt if you are. the co has been winning a lot and is probably playing a little loosie goosie at this point. i'd suspect him to have two pair often if he bets/three bets so why not cap the turn. if he leads into you on the river and you make your full house you can raise him and if he checks to you there then bet and call his check raise this hand is worth a lot still unimproved.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hell i'd probably even cap the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]???????????????????????? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]