Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: AQs live hand

That would be a dream flop when you're not facing a PF raiser who also check raises you on the flop. I would fold, his checkraise to me indicates he can beat a pair of queens, so it's either KK or AA for me.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 AM

Agreed. If you can't play a Q high flop against him with confidence, then there is no point in calling with AQ. If you're hoping for him to just check/fold then you might as well call with any two.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:51 AM

I wouldn't hope for a check fold but if he's a tight player and (assumedly) knows you are a tight player too than it would almost certainly be -EV to call or raise his check raise here at least in my opinion. I don't think a tight player in this situation would check raise with anything less than AQ and when it's not AQ it's most likely AA or KK. Can you please explain your reasoning for not folding here?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:54 AM

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at the OP or at me (since you replied to me, but that might not have been intentional) but just to clarify, I would have folded preflop.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it this was that terrible of a call preflop
Ill keep that in mind

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not terrible at all, it's just you mentioned this particular player to be the tightest (along with yourself) player at the table.

Game conditions: Sometimes there are times when AQs is a goldmine. I dont think this was that time.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it is terrible if he weren't a tight player and if you think that you can outplay him post flop. I think BF was picking up on the fact that you called yourself tight and then said that you called a raise with AQs which, although not terrible under some circumstances, is not exactly 'tight'. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

TWP - we have a winner [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 AM

I actually did fold after he check raised and like I said i think he had kings.
I said were the the two tightest players, but this was a table where the other 7 or 8 people would raise to 15 dollar with jq and king 10 and [censored] like that, so he was tighter than them.
It was a prety nice flop for AQ but as some of you said the only hand I could hope he has is AQ ( or a bluff)

I was actually pleaslantly suprised that everyone agreed on my flop fold, while there is some disagreement over my initial call.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:57 AM

Actually, there IS one hand I could see him having here that you are beating and that is JJ. Sometimes if there is one over, then I will check/raise to really find out where I am when I am OOP. If I just bet and get called, I have no idea how to play the turn whereas if he calls a check/raise on the flop, I know I am done with the hand. It is a bit more expensive, but can avoid losing some pots when you are ahead (and even when you are behind?) so all told I think it is not a terrible line.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:12 AM

That crossed my mind also but I though he might lead out with that hand especially if he though I might call with KQ
Another reason I called was the the blinds were playing every hand and with AQs I wouldnt mind paying 10 dollars to see a 40 dollar flop with position (the blinds both folded)
Old 01-17-2005, 03:13 AM

For one thing, I wouldn't bet the flop. If your opponent isn't crushing you already, he has at most 3 outs. Let him bluff the turn, and see what develops on the river. If you were playing AQs to give up top pair top kicker too easily, you shouldn't play it in the first place.

Now, that he's check-raised you, it's decision time. It's really read dependent. The best thing you could really hope for is KQ. The next best is chop-chop looking at another AQ. I'd have to play with villian longer and have a read about how he plays certain scenarios first. As it plays with no read, I fold.

Garland