Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: We\'ve got a live one

Doesn't the big blind know the maniac will bet withanything when you both check to him? I think this is a more dangerous spot than the other responders do.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:53 PM

I think you are right about the bb, but shouldn't hero still be checkraising in that spot?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the big blind know the maniac will bet withanything when you both check to him? I think this is a more dangerous spot than the other responders do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy's got a great point here, as the savviness of the BB is key here: if he knows that the maniac will bet anything, and knows that YOU know that, he knows you will raise for the isolation with anything, and therefore he might know to then 3-bet to either isolate you or because he has ... whatever.

So anything more on the BB?

I like the raise a lot IF the BB is John Q. Sixpack.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 06-14-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is a stickier spot than most have acknowledged, and if the BB is thinking he might know what hero is up to.

But if BB had any pair himself, I think he would have bet the flop to try to bounce hero out with maniac's raise. So either he missed or he's milking. I think the pot is big enough to take the shot to gets headsup here. At that point, hope the maniac is on a gutshot draw or something, and call down.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:12 PM

I was sitting in this game and against this guy I would have checkraised the flop hoping I could 4 bet for value. This guy was completly terrible. He 3 bet me on the river with A high after I had made it 3 bets on all post flop streets. Also the BB in question was kind of WT and very straighforward so he would almost def. go away either on the flop or turn if a lot of bets got put in on the flop.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:45 PM

This is good. I don't put in any more raises (aside from calling to and on the river) unless I spike a pair. If you hit a 10 on the turn do NOT semi bluff it, just call.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:54 PM

Four bets preflop with KJo. Yikes!

You know that calling and folding are options, even when a maniac plays.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the raise is good because it'll help knockout the BB, but you're still OOP against this guy. Luckily, he's a maniac so he'll be easy to c/r on latter streets if you actually do hit something.

What if the turn comes a blank. Do you check/call? Are you prepared to check/call all the way down?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Once you get the BB out of there, it's the easiest calldown in the world.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely raise here, with the sole purpose of driving out the BB. If he calls and the CO calls/raises, slow down on the turn (unless it helps you, obviously). If the BB folds, bet out and hope for the best, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
This last piece of advice is horrible. Once the BB is out, why would you bet into a maniac with K high? Do you think he'll check behind if you don't bet? Betting here serves very little purpose and might actually get him to fold some crappy hand that he would have bluffed with all the way. Just check/call and let him bluff off his chips.