Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: How should my play should differ when there is a kill

[ QUOTE ]

Too many people are afraid to raise with the increased stake. With the person on the kill,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this statement about some players playing 'scared money' and weak tight due the increase in stakes in a 1/2 kill or full kill game is only really attributable to the OP or a player in a similiar situation - someone who is over their head.

Regular 5-10 players in this format are VERY much used to the increased stakes due to the kill, and could care less. whiny 3-6 players bitch about posting a $4 kill blind in the BB, I can't imagine even one regular in that game thinking to themselves: 'Uh oh, its a kill - time to screw it down - Carson hand groups 1.1a thru Fugazi Zulu Niner only.' Your hand selection and play selection IMO would not change due to the limits/structure, but instead to adjust for the players and game conditions - not the stakes.

Any halfwit LAGgro regular would pick up on a nitty who groans about posting a kill, and then proceed to run said weakie over.

Foxwoods doesn't have any lower full kill games to mess around with I'm guessing, some full kill play might ease your transition into a regular seat in the game. The structure mentioned basically sets up repeat kills being that the 'kill' requirement is a $100+ pot - once the limits double, 5 BBs to reach a kill pot. Any 3 handed or more pot is likely to reach the kill - which means that the limit will often be @ the 10-20 level (I'd say 60-70% of the time the kill rolls over) This game is actually probably averaging around an 8-16 limit, I'd say preparing yourself BR-wise to play 8-16 is a good start. If you can't wait till 4-8 earnings get you over the hump, a possible alternative might be to play @ UltimateBet where they offer full kill hold em games @ differing limits - invest a few hundred online and get used to playing full kill games, then breeze into Foxwoods like you know what you're doing.

To make those types of adjustments (i.e. playing tighter etc) seems based on BR level theory, similiar to the

Kelly
Criterion

which is a wagering system for sports betting, BJ etc., not poker.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all. I usually play 4/8 at foxwoods and have had great success. Now it is time to move up to the 5/10. How should my play difer between the 2 limits.
The bigger question is how my play should differ because all 5/10 tables have a kill and 4/8 has NO kill. I have been watching 5/10, and when the pot hits 100 dollars it stays at 10/20 for a long time. Usually at least 10 hands. How should my play differ when it is killed if I dont have the bankroll to really play 10/20, but I really want to play 5/10. When it is killed it seems like a contest in money, because all the rich guys just push around everyone that doesnt have 600 bucks on the table. Thankyou for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that you have not found any 5/10 games that dont play kill?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:06 AM

No, when the pot reaches a certain size the following hand is the kill pot. The winner of the pot that went over must post a blind equal to the small bet and all players must call or raise based on this amount.

Example: If the game is 10/20 with a 1/2 kill and the kill amount is $130. The first hand is at 10/20 with the small blind of $5 in the 1 seat and the large blind of $10 in the 2 seat. If the pot reaches $130 or more and the 9 seat wins the pot, the following hand is 15/30 and the 2 seat posts $5, the 3 seat posts $10 and the 9 seat posts $15. The 4 seat must call or raise $15 to play, and so on. If this post exceeds $130 (more likely since the stakes are higher) then the winner posts the kill amount in the next hand. Sometimes the kill amount in a kill hand goes up (as it should, imo) but frequently it stays at $130 (in the example) in most places and so the game will usually play at 15/30 with smaller blinds most hands.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:16 PM

Bring at least 400.00 to table . you want to have big stack Also i palyed 5/10 @ foxwoods for about a year . Kill will sometimes stay on for hours and then hours with no kill, Probaly more like 50 % of the time .