Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How should my play should differ when there is a kill (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=202237)

ojsdaman 02-24-2005 10:13 PM

How should my play should differ when there is a kill

Hello all. I usually play 4/8 at foxwoods and have had great success. Now it is time to move up to the 5/10. How should my play difer between the 2 limits.
The bigger question is how my play should differ because all 5/10 tables have a kill and 4/8 has NO kill. I have been watching 5/10, and when the pot hits 100 dollars it stays at 10/20 for a long time. Usually at least 10 hands. How should my play differ when it is killed if I dont have the bankroll to really play 10/20, but I really want to play 5/10. When it is killed it seems like a contest in money, because all the rich guys just push around everyone that doesnt have 600 bucks on the table. Thankyou for your help.

Shang Chou 02-24-2005 11:21 PM

Re: How should my play should differ when there is a kill

I play the same way.

Where you looking for something like "limp with all suited connectors, small PP, and suited aces" or "only play big cards"?

ojsdaman 02-24-2005 11:39 PM

lol...no i was looking for advice on how i should play differently from each limit... i would be fine if it was 5/10 always, but the 10/20 really changes things.. i know i should never think of my chips as actual money but something just feels different calling a $20 bet when you think someone is bluffing compared to an 8 dollar bet

bernie 02-25-2005 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but something just feels different calling a $20 bet when you think someone is bluffing compared to an 8 dollar bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you shouldn't be playing that limit. Until you are confident enough in your game that the monetary value you put in the pot doesn't matter.

btw...Play tighter in a kill pot.

b

na4bart 02-25-2005 03:12 AM

Yep, you are in effect playing 10/20 with a 5/10 blind structure. Tighter is righter...

Shang Chou 02-25-2005 04:22 AM

Yea but there is 17 dollars in the pot to start with. In a normal 10/20 game there is only 15 dollars. You can win 2 more dollars than a normal 10/20 game!!!!

but seriously, you probably should not be playing scared because it will only hurt your game.

PatJ 02-25-2005 12:50 PM

Don\'t play if you\'re scared

I loosen my pf calling/raising standards. Many players are and play scared when faced with the double sized bets. If you are willing to be agressive it can pay off for you.

On the flip side, don't be the guy who gets pushed off hands you should win just because someone shows some force. Being tighter helps avoid these dilemnas, also maybe stick with the 4-8 for a while.

George Rice 02-25-2005 01:14 PM

The game is basically playing like a 10/20 game with smaller blinds.

You can afford to wait longer for good hands as it's cheaper to play a round. You also make more on your steals, as there is more money in the pot. So there is a wider gap between your raising hands and calling hands than in a regular game. Be advised many players are wise to that and will call in the forced $10 blind with weaker hands.

Be aware of the pot size when you figure to win the pot and don't value bet if it will put the amount of the pot over the kill amount--especially in the 5/10 game. If it's only $5 away then a value bet will be okay much of the time at the 10/20 level. But if it's $15 - $35 away be very very sure before you bet the river--you are risking $40 to win $30 if you are raised (maybe a little better than that as you have some equity in the next pot ;-)).

Of course this only applies if you think you have the best hand. Bluffing won't be negatively effected by this. In fact bluffing may be more correct if another player is likely to fold a marginal hand because he will have to post the kill in the next hand and thinks his odds on a call are worse (which they are).

ojsdaman 02-25-2005 02:34 PM

thankyou all for your advice...the problem is that i am so sick of 4/8 and it is time for me to move up to 5/10 which would be no problem if there wasnt a kill... i know that when it is killed I will play scared... what is the minimum amount that i want to sit down with if i plan on it being on kill 75 % of the time?

pokerjo22 02-25-2005 02:50 PM

Kills only happen when a player wins two pots in a row right? 75% of the time on kill is way too high an estimate if so.