Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a wi

Go to MHNL and look for the IQ thread. There are a couple links. In general internet IQ tests are juiced upwards though, so use a grain of salt.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

You realize you're saying that only one person out of every 100,730 is smarter than you?

I graduated slightly over two years of high school. When I graduated I was younger than a significant number of sophmores, none of whom were held back.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to MHNL and look for the IQ thread. There are a couple links. In general internet IQ tests are juiced upwards though, so use a grain of salt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I took one when I was in 2nd grade. Not sure of the validity of the test, but it seemed real offical at the time.

I took one online here not long ago and the resluts were flattering. This is why I asked, I very much questioned the validity of the test I took online.(It was followed by an invitation to ITT Tech)

To be honest I dont even know what IQ means. I know what it is, sort of... but what does it really mean???
Old 05-02-2005, 07:23 PM

my first deposit was $50 into partypoker a while ago... was just dickin around playin $25 NL cash games...

got REALLY lucky and somehow actually made about $100 then proceeded to lose it all in about 4 hands [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

then i started an affiliate page (getting signups) for a poker site and made a couple grand doing that...

took that bankroll and started playing random games... cash games, tourneys, MTT's, pretty much break even just dickin around...

then one day i was playing a .25/50 on pacific poker... was getting raped down about $40... was bitching like a little girl [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]... then someone mentioned to me that i should check out "small stakes hold-em"... since then i decided i was gonna take this game really seriously and make some money... that book totally turned my poker game around... i played limit at .5/1 while bonuswhoring about 20 party accounts... worked my way up to 2/4... then got totally burned out...

then i found the STT forum... and i'm finally having fun playing again...

i must say though... i just stepped it to the 30's a week or so ago... and was absolutely killing them... when i went on a 30-buyin slide... and now all of a sudden i feel like i can't dig out of this hole...

well... hopefully i do... and i keep posting here... cuz man STT's are SOOOO much more fun than limit games [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 08:13 PM

I don't know too much about it, but IQ is a relative ranking of your intelligence (what kind exactly, i dunno) to others. IQ is relative though, not absolute.

Anyone above 130 is in the top decile (meaning 10%). Anyone above 160 is a genius. I heard somewhere that they are meant for younger people, not adults, but I'm not sure. The internet tests are no doubt exaggerated. I didn't mean to call that other guy a liar or anything, maybe I came down a little hard but a 164 IQ is truly special, and not even close to common.

That said this is somewhat 2nd hand info but it is generally on the right lines.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

1200 in the course of 1 year in 3 deposits playing for fun. Then I got serious and started studying it - now I've made that back + a little more.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I am a victim of an extended run of bad cards? I hear people say that if you follow the aleomagus guide you can't lose. Well, I'm -26% ROI (200 game sampling).

[/ QUOTE ]

I once dropped 40 buyins in less than 100 SnGs, which was directly followed by a 20 buyin profit in 50 games.

In the short run results can swing quite madly even in low variance games like SnGs.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
around 400 bucks, 50 at a time for buyins.

i needed to learn to tighten up, since then i've been alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same Here - I played for a year and lost about $400, then I took 2nd place in a Sunday afternoon 5+1 MTT on Party. Paid $1060. (I won like 10 coinflips in row, it was awesome) I paid myself back for the deposits, spent a couple hundred on books, PokerTracker etc, and have not had to redoposit since.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
same as almost everyone else- I deposted $50 into party poker and, beginning with the 10s then moving up, built it into several thousand.

I find it interesting that almost everyone here started off winning. Given that variation is so strong it would seem like 30-50% of us would have started off losing. I bet that the only reason we are in SNGs is because we didn't start off cold. There are probably many players that are or would have been very good at SnGs that started off in a cold streak and stoped playing because they got discouraged. If I had lost the original $50 i put into Party Poker (very easy to do) I probably would have never come back simply because I was starting out and didn't realize the high variance involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering how strong the impetus is to post that you started off winning compared to losing, you shouldn't be surprised at the skewed self-reporting here. 2+2 has always attracted bragging like flies to poop, so a thread like this is just another iteration of a natural pattern.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I find it interesting that almost everyone here started off winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't.

2+2 is a self selecting % of the poker playing community. Most are experiencing the lighter side of variance for long, extended periods of time. I'd actually expect most posters to have ridden heaters early on in their poker career at some point.

What's interesting is that very few posters realize they are riding heaters and/or on an extended run of good variance. Players who don't experience these things don't find their way to 2+2....they quit.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I agree that a lot of people who continue to play poker started off on hot streaks, too. Some of them stay on their hot streaks long enough to actually learn how to win reliably.

This is reinforced by how constantly I see even experienced players asking questions that could only conceivably answered by Sample Size Man. Variance is easier to understand academically than it is in real life. People who don't start off on the good side of it often quit before they have a chance to see the good side of it, or improve their game. Or show up posting on 2+2 asking for an analysis of their last 200 hands.