Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Mastering no-limit holdem

Hello,

Ive just read the book and I think it is totally worthless.
There is absolutely no concrete advice, no oryginal analysis. Things like "rule of 13" or analysing play draws basing on potodds are useless.
"Matrix theory" is just a table with starting hands and the name for it is misleading.
The only chapter I find useful is "managing your mind". There is nothing oryginal in it but some obvious thought for unaware newbies which CAN be useful.
This is first book I regret spending 25$ on.
Thoughts ?

Best wishes!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Mastering no-limit holdem

Probably not worth $25..but worth the $13 I paid for it..
Old 07-10-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

There is absolutely no concrete advice, no oryginal analysis. Things like "rule of 13" or analysing play draws basing on potodds are useless.
"Matrix theory" is just a table with starting hands and the name for it is misleading.
The only chapter I find useful is "managing your mind". There is nothing oryginal in it but some obvious thought for unaware newbies which CAN be useful.
Thoughts ?

Best wishes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. "Worse than bad," as some might say.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:20 PM

Crap factor is high, though for an ABSOLUTE beginner (why are you learning NL first if you are? oh, they don't play limit on TV? My bad...) it probably isn't terrible. It's just that anything the book tells you, a half-decent player has already figured out after a modicum of table time. But it seemed almost insulting remedial to me...I especially liked the sample session in the appendix, where the lesson seems to be "Get dealt KK and QQ 15 times more often then you 'should' be, and collect the chips"
Old 07-20-2005, 09:57 PM

I agreed. The Ruban/Ciaffone book is excellent. Supersystem is very good for NL as well. I'm hoping Phil Gordon's DVD is as good everyone says. And more than anything else, I hope the Sklansky/Miller books is as great as SSH, TOP, and HFAP.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:14 PM

There are so few books on NL ring games, especially low stakes NL, that I bought it. The fact that I'm going to vegas and the book deals with B&M games, seemed worth the risk. Wrong!
The book is nearly worthless. The hand quizes in the back are a decent idea, but I can get this online for free and actually have SOME faith in the answers.

All new players should read this book cover-to-cover, then come play with me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm glad that I didn't buy it. I did, however, just order Ciaffone/Reuben's book and am looking forward to Sklansky/Miller's book.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:02 PM

Ciaffone/Reuben's book is THE bible in my opinion.
When I read it for the first time I didnt think so. I was slightly disappointed and didnt see much in this book. But after few rereads I realized how many concepts and subtleties I was missing...
Recommended.

Best wishes
Old 07-13-2005, 02:37 AM

I concur that Ciaffone/Reuben's book is an amazing purchase that any serious NL cash game player should buy, but certainly only an experienced and knowledgeble player could reap any benefit out of the material, whereas Mastering NL holdem can easily suit a beginner's taste. Nevertheless, I find alot of the material misguided and could potentially leave a newbie short a few buyins.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

Thoughts ?

Best wishes!

[/ QUOTE ]
Russ McGinley would totally agree with you. The only Conjelco book worth it is the Lee Jones Books.