Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mastering no-limit holdem (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289965)

punter11235 07-10-2005 12:44 PM

Mastering no-limit holdem

Hello,

Ive just read the book and I think it is totally worthless.
There is absolutely no concrete advice, no oryginal analysis. Things like "rule of 13" or analysing play draws basing on potodds are useless.
"Matrix theory" is just a table with starting hands and the name for it is misleading.
The only chapter I find useful is "managing your mind". There is nothing oryginal in it but some obvious thought for unaware newbies which CAN be useful.
This is first book I regret spending 25$ on.
Thoughts ?

Best wishes!

KingMarc 07-10-2005 01:14 PM

Re: Mastering no-limit holdem

Probably not worth $25..but worth the $13 I paid for it..

binions 07-10-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

There is absolutely no concrete advice, no oryginal analysis. Things like "rule of 13" or analysing play draws basing on potodds are useless.
"Matrix theory" is just a table with starting hands and the name for it is misleading.
The only chapter I find useful is "managing your mind". There is nothing oryginal in it but some obvious thought for unaware newbies which CAN be useful.
Thoughts ?

Best wishes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. "Worse than bad," as some might say.

SNOWBALL138 07-10-2005 07:02 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm glad that I didn't buy it. I did, however, just order Ciaffone/Reuben's book and am looking forward to Sklansky/Miller's book.

sethypooh21 07-10-2005 08:20 PM

Crap factor is high, though for an ABSOLUTE beginner (why are you learning NL first if you are? oh, they don't play limit on TV? My bad...) it probably isn't terrible. It's just that anything the book tells you, a half-decent player has already figured out after a modicum of table time. But it seemed almost insulting remedial to me...I especially liked the sample session in the appendix, where the lesson seems to be "Get dealt KK and QQ 15 times more often then you 'should' be, and collect the chips"

whalekock 07-11-2005 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

Thoughts ?

Best wishes!

[/ QUOTE ]
Russ McGinley would totally agree with you. The only Conjelco book worth it is the Lee Jones Books.

AliasMrJones 07-11-2005 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, based on some previous recommendations here, I bought it. I was very disappointed. Numerous times I found myself scratching my head either at a play the author suggested, the explanation, or the lack of analysis. IMO, this book is a 5/10 at best and I think HOH vo1. 1, even though written for tourneys and not cash games, is a far better NLH book than MNLH.

ihaveapigyo 07-11-2005 02:16 PM

i just buy poker books from the mall book store, and return them for a full refund lmao

PapiChulo503 07-11-2005 02:26 PM

I purchased the book and it has not arrived yet. I originally picked it up on the recommendation of several posters. I was under the impression that the intended audience was the fixed buy-in NLHE crowd. $100-$400 fixed buyin is pretty popular so I thought that this book might help me with that part of the game. After reading all these comments im regretting my purchase. Is it completely worthless if I already have a basic idea of how to play NLHE?

AliasMrJones 07-11-2005 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it completely worthless if I already have a basic idea of how to play NLHE?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, pretty much. If you've never played NLHE either in a cash game or tournament situation, it might be of some use.