Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Flopped Set and Slowplay. Good, Bad, Ugly??

i'd lead the flop.... but once you make it to the river, am I the only one that finds it criminally insane not to 3-bet?! what, exactly, are you afraid of at this point?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Definately losing money.

Why are you calling the flop if you're not planning to check/raise the turn?

And you need to 3-bet the river.

Edit: and yeah, lead the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I just wanted to confirm that I spew chips every once and again.

FWIW, I may have ESP because villian showed down exactly what I suspected....A4. Still EV- hand.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM

I lead the flop, your hand strength is disguised, let a K raise the flop so you can 3-bet. Given how you played it, you need to 3-bet the river as your hand looks weak/fishy.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:48 AM

I would bet the flop and or c/r.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

you play 33 to hit a set. you did that. make money with it. raise!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 PM

I'll go against the grain and say I don't mind the flop check. If you bet, it's likely you'll end up winning right on the flop with such an awful board. This seems to be a fine spot to give a cheap/free card in hopes of making someone a 2nd best hand (or inducing something like Ax to call you down).

However, once BB bets out with 2 players left to act, he's going to have Kx most of the time. Now you need to find a way to take the most from him. I would c/r the turn although you don't lose much by c/ring the flop. At any rate, you need to get a raise in somewhere; donk-betting the turn is the worst option.

I 3-bet this river about 100% of the time too. If he called your turn bet getting 4-1 with A4, pay him off and put him on your buddy list.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:02 PM

I will agree flop check is ok, but you have to c/r the flop or turn.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll go against the grain and say I don't mind the flop check. If you bet, it's likely you'll end up winning right on the flop with such an awful board. This seems to be a fine spot to give a cheap/free card in hopes of making someone a 2nd best hand (or inducing something like Ax to call you down).

However, once BB bets out with 2 players left to act, he's going to have Kx most of the time. Now you need to find a way to take the most from him. I would c/r the turn although you don't lose much by c/ring the flop. At any rate, you need to get a raise in somewhere; donk-betting the turn is the worst option.

I 3-bet this river about 100% of the time too. If he called your turn bet getting 4-1 with A4, pay him off and put him on your buddy list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back on the hand, I liked this line the best. I flat call and c/r turn. I'm so reluctant to check the turn in small pots like this for fear of it getting checked through. I also think betting the flop is less than optimal. Smart players will rarely call an ugly board like this in a small pot.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian here is only been around for 30 hands but has stats of 33/2

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost always go with one of two lines here: bet out &amp; keep betting or checkraise the turn. I generally try to checkraise the turn only if I have reason to believe I can trap the field on the turn (i.e. most likely better is EP), or if my opponent is agressive enough to often bet flop &amp; turn with marginal holdings, but not agressive enough to raise a flop bet with TP (letting me 3bet).

jvs
Old 09-14-2005, 04:49 PM

I like C/R flop (trying to trap people), lead turn, bet/3-bet river and call a cap.

I find that very few opponents can resist calling down (drawing nearly dead) after they lead the flop and get C/R'ed.

Tom