Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Turn Screwplay for the birds?

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it's a useful weapon when sitting in early position against a post-flop field of 4+. Last night I was in a 15/30 game UTG +2 with AA. Raise pre-flop got called by MP2 (LAG which had seen 7 of the last 9 flops), called by the button, SB and BB. The flop came A 10 7. Check, Check, I bet, MP2 call, Button call, SB call BB call.

Now at this point, I’m comfortably ahead but I’m also confident the field is going to call me down. I had seen enough out of MP2 to know if I checked he WOULD bet. The turn went Check, Check, I Check, (MP2 did his job and bet behind me), call, call call, and I screwplayed which got two folds.

I don’t know. Maybe everyone’s right. Maybe by betting out, somebody at some point improves their hand to raising status, which I can 3-bet and maybe it’s a weak play to thin the field with top set on such a drawless board, but when you KNOW that someone will bet if you “give up and check” the screwplay greatly increases odds of winning at showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checkraising the field is not a screwplay. Screwplay refers to being HU.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:08 PM

nlsoldier has a recent post in hush where he advocates this "screwplay" with just overs and especially ak.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM

In HPFAP, Sklansky says you should be checking approximately 60% of your hands when first to act HU on the turn---roughly the top and bottom 30%.

Near the end of the book, he alludes to this advice again, saying that many people will think he is too passive on the turn...so obviously he recognizes it as somewhat counterintuitive.

At any rate, it seems someone playing this way would use the screwplay rather frequently indeed.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Screwplay

""says" something different as well."

it says hi youre a betting a station and youre going to bet whenever i tell you to. thank you for being my bitch.

also a screwplay is a donk check with the intention of raising.

i can only speak to the fact that it's a strong play in a live smaller mid limit game where there's not as much checkraising and it has the chance of being noticed by, and scaring, mediocre players.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nlsoldier has a recent post in hush where he advocates this "screwplay" with just overs and especially ak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent been screwplaying enough lately. I need to start doing it more. It was really working well like a month ago. (Both with pretty strong hands, and some stuff like AK on rag boards).
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 PM

What about hands that are not strong enough to bet-3bet, but are certainly strong enough to checkraise our opponents very wide range of hands?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Nate\'s Post

For the love of god use tinyurl.

-Diplomat
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 PM

JV, where you been? The play you describe is standard now, although the name for it wasn't assigned even though Diablohas previously mentioned it as you having originated it.

I guess you're trying to refine it by your description of players. There's been some good threads recently I'd like to have heard your take on.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:10 AM

I've never screwplayed a bare AK and I should be chastized for it. I'm screwplaying every AK I get for the next month as penance - should be fun.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you're trying to refine it by your description of players. There's been some good threads recently I'd like to have heard your take on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not as diligent as I once was on 2+2. I'm sort've getting bored with holdem. Been spending most my time lately, on A2 and top two. I'll check out that Nate thread when I get a chance. I really like the idea of bare Ak screwplaying bluffing. But honestly - who doesn't?