Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Too Tight on Bubble? 10+1

[ QUOTE ]
On the bubble and covered by utg, I think this is a fold. I'm not good with ICM so I'm not going to run numbers, but if I'm wrong it's definitely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not close. come up with a push range where you are not crushing this guy, seriously.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the bubble and covered by utg, I think this is a fold. I'm not good with ICM so I'm not going to run numbers, but if I'm wrong it's definitely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not close. come up with a push range where you are not crushing this guy, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

PP.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:25 PM

yeah, the guy is pushing 22-AA?

ugh, if hes pushing 22-88 hes also pushing AT-AQ, all those good cards.

OR MAYBE HE HAS NOTHING AND IS STEALING ON THE BUBBLE.

i said i fold this 1/5 times under specific conditions, that the table is very tight and i can steal at will or this player is a real rock (a real real rock).
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 PM

I think I'm folding this. What's the ICM numbers for AK vs any 2?

With close to 4k chips and only 1/200 blinds there's no reason for you to get involved here.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the guy is pushing 22-AA?

ugh, if hes pushing 22-88 hes also pushing AT-AQ, all those good cards.

OR MAYBE HE HAS NOTHING AND IS STEALING ON THE BUBBLE.

i said i fold this 1/5 times under specific conditions, that the table is very tight and i can steal at will or this player is a real rock (a real real rock).

[/ QUOTE ]

i really cant say what i would do unless i was in the game. the blinds are small .
Old 06-01-2005, 08:59 PM

I fold this about 20% of the time, when I really think raiser has a real hand and not a good 4 player hand, and I think if I fold I can still steal at will. If I don't think I can steal I can't fold here.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:03 PM

How much longer at party poker are you going to wait around for a hand like AK? Is this because you don't want to deal with coinflips on the bubble? Unless you have a solid read on this guy, I would say auto-call for me at 10+1...

Z
Old 06-01-2005, 09:01 PM

I would probably be folding myself. You have a decent stack and I personally wouldn't want to risk it seeing that there's a short stack that's 1/4 my size.

First in, then yeah, I'm raising 3BB and going from there. But calling a huge all in raise when there's still a great chance of falling into the money.....I think you did the right thing.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM

I am shocked at the chorus of folds, but that always seems to be the consensus among a pretty weak tight crowd. Let's review:

1. This is a 10+1, open pusher could have almost anything, although I would guess most likely is Ax. If you are really unlucky you will run into something sooted.

2. One poster says you "aren't that big a favorite against KQ or a lower ace", exactly what kind of favorite are you waiting to be then?

3. Most of your profit comes from winning these. Calling here is an easy shortcut to that goal. Against the pusher's likely range you are unquestionably well ahead.

4. You can almost certainly eliminate the only two hands that are real trouble for you. Is there anyone who plays AA or KK this way?

There seems to a tendency here to believe that you should pass up a chance to get all your money in the middle, because there will be a better opportunity or better cards later. Being a scary good player cannot conjure up better cards than your opponent's. Part of becoming good is accepting that you need to make the most of the few big hands you get in a short tourney. Instead there seems to be a lot of people looking for excuses to fold their best hands.

There is another poster (adanthar I believe) who is fond of saying that if you called every odd seeming raise or wild overbet with your good hands you would rarely be wrong. The same holds here.

Call fer chrissakes!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is another poster (adanthar I believe) who is fond of saying that if you called every odd seeming raise or wild overbet with your good hands you would rarely be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, this is only at low limits.

But yes, I would call this.