Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Hand Reading made the River Bet Easy

[ QUOTE ]
A bet on the flop from a tight passive here indicates a pair very often. I think it's more likely to be a pair we beat (TT or possibly 88)

I doubt a villain with that profile bet out the flop with overcards and a backdoor flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I doubt he has eights though. Say his hands are QQ, JJ or TT 90+% of the time and AK or AQ with a spade the rest. If so, then it depends on the probability he will fold QQ (low) or JJ (almost as low) versus the probability he has AK (probably not as low). I guess the bet has value, but it is not clear to me that it has a lot. (If he'll cap with queens then the value goes up, obviously, but it is not clear that he does.)
Old 09-09-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A bet on the flop from a tight passive here indicates a pair very often. I think it's more likely to be a pair we beat (TT or possibly 88)

I doubt a villain with that profile bet out the flop with overcards and a backdoor flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I doubt he has eights though. Say his hands are QQ, JJ or TT 90+% of the time and AK or AQ with a spade the rest. If so, then it depends on the probability he will fold QQ (low) or JJ (almost as low) versus the probability he has AK (probably not as low). I guess the bet has value, but it is not clear to me that it has a lot. (If he'll cap with queens then the value goes up, obviously, but it is not clear that he does.)

[/ QUOTE ]

88 is probably not that likely, and we can basically dismiss JJ not only because it's unlikely but because it's going to be a chop anyway.

The basic point is this: which hand is villain more likely to play the way he did: QQ or TT? This line is quite consistent with the way a lot of players will play TT, but not how they'll play QQ. QQ would likely have either capped pre-flop, or three-bet or check-raised the flop.

I think AK/AQ type hands are quite unlikely because AK give more turn action and neither are that likely to lead this flop (given our opponent is quite tight-passive).
Old 09-09-2005, 04:13 PM

W. Deranged:

[ QUOTE ]
The basic point is this: which hand is villain more likely to play the way he did: QQ or TT? This line is quite consistent with the way a lot of players will play TT, but not how they'll play QQ. QQ would likely have either capped pre-flop, or three-bet or check-raised the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't think it likely that QQ gets capped preflop or QQ gets 3-bet on the flop from a guy with those stats. I would say it is pretty close between QQ or TT (maybe JJ) with TT being a mild favorite.

I really added nothing to this thread.

--Rico
Old 09-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Anything that has you beat is going to play back at the turn I think. Easy river bet.

I think the obvious reads would be TT, JJ, QQ. I also think some others are a possibility such as AsQx or something. His flop bet might have been testing whether you have an overpair, then picked up the flush draw on the turn.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:18 PM

I get an almost overwhelming to desire to type "You're TT isn't any good". It's just so fun...but I restrained myself.

Once in a live game, I raised EP, and UTG+2 sat there for a while. He was pretty tight, and I'd see him 3 bet QQ...he just didn't have a firm grasp of the PF game. Anyway, after a minute, he cold called (which was a 1st as well). I was pretty certain he had JJ and figured if he raised undercards and the flop, that would be his hand.

Anyway, the BB calls and the flop comes down 559r.

BB checks, I bet as a result of my civic duty, he raises

BB calls 2 cold, I fold.

Turn is a rag, BB c/res and this guy just sits there thinking. So...I lean over to him and say "He's got a 5, you can fold your jacks now."

He almost fell out of his chair.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My best read: He has QQ or something and was planning to pop you on the turn, but the flush/king scared him and he decided to call down. Or he has AK and again, the flush scares him and he is calling down. Or he has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q and will fold to your river bet.

In any case, it is not clear to me that this is an easy river bet. But, as we know, I am a wimp on the river. Enlighten me. TT is thie only reasonable hand that we like that will play like this; are you that sure he has it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really felt he would have capped me PF with QQ...you wouldn't have known that though...

AK he doesn't lead the flop.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:54 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

nh, mr. tip.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:02 PM

this river bet is easy without hand reading.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:42 PM

So, say we are villain and have tens in this pot. You fold turn because you put Q on are either overpairs or AK? I guess AQ might be in range, Q will have to tell us. Against this villain perhaps because he seems a bit weak, that an extra small bet pf might be worth investing if we think we can use that as credibility.

The only reason I mention this is that while reading this thread it seemed that the general opinion is that his hand is quite lucid. But who would have played it otherwise?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this river bet is easy without hand reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every poker play, particularly on the river, involves some degree of hand reading. Maybe you don't need to put villain exactly on TT here to make a river value bet, but you are doing some hand-reading by simply deducing that villain is likely to have a worse hand.

This is all semantics, though... and hand-reading is fun...