Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Sklanksy AK hand, let\'s discuss...

So, what do you think of Doyle Brunson's play HU? I thought it was relatively standart.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:13 AM

Interesting.

I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the average WPT watcher.

Phil is a known quantity, both because of his past poker success, previous appearances, and his marketing. I doubt many knew who Mike Caro was. Mike Sexton... Probably some viewers were amazed he actually plays poker, but they know him. TJ and Doyle..if their was a Mount Rushmore of NL poker, their craggy faces would be two of the four carved in.

David Sklansky? Huh....?

So you both won the tourney, and succeeded on the metastrategy level of gaining exposure for yourself and 2+2.

Frank
Old 02-25-2005, 07:55 AM

"Correct? So as a reader of yours I really shouldn't bother to watch that episode, since you are admitedly not playing your best and therefore not practicing what you preach."

Try thinking of it a different way- this was just a meta game move, and David has broader implications to his game than most people. When you watch his play and you are trying to figure out why he did what, keep it in mind.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:33 AM

You think it would be that valuable a contribution to book sales and your consulting work, David?

Wow, the power of television. If that's true, why don't you volunteer as a guest commentator on one of the WPT's other, regular broadcasts? If the exposure would be worth that much, then having the WPT profit off of you would still make sense, right?

I know I'd be thrilled not to have to listen to VVP for one show....
Old 02-25-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is that EST PST or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

WPT Schedule
Old 02-25-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think it would be that valuable a contribution to book sales and your consulting work, David?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe DS stated in his tournament book that there were moves he would make in a tournament because of increased sales of books, but otherwise would be bad plays.

Therefore he has already stated in his book "Do as I say, not as I do" so to speak...

BTW, what does "1337" mean?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, the power of television. If that's true, why don't you volunteer as a guest commentator on one of the WPT's other, regular broadcasts? If the exposure would be worth that much, then having the WPT profit off of you would still make sense, right?

I know I'd be thrilled not to have to listen to VVP for one show....

[/ QUOTE ]

Television is the most powerfull force in the world today. I'm sure that hour of television will do more for David than all the writing and playing he has done over the years.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, just b/c we haven't seen anyone lay down AK pre-flop in any WPT event doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Remember, these shows represent an hour and a half or so or what is sometimes 6-7 hours worth of live action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're refering to WPT final table action, but in the only WPT event that I ever played in, I folded AK after a big reraise.

I didn't have any chips all day in this tourney and suddenly when on a little streak and after a big hand against Huck Seed found myself with about 23K. The blinds were 500/1000 and I raised to 3000 with AK UTG.

Mark Seif was UTG2 and he re-raised me 9K more to 12K. Mark had just been moved to our table and during some table talk I overheard him tell another player that he had acquired his big stack which was about 40K through stealing.

I thought at the time that he said this to try and get action with his big hands. Anyway, it was back to me, and my read was that he had a big hand and I mucked my AK.

I thought that I probably made a good play until he told me that I made a good laydown, that he had KK. So I probably got outplayed on the hand, but yes at least one other has laid down AK in a WPT event. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Face time

[/ QUOTE ]

schmuck
Old 02-25-2005, 06:33 PM

Ouch. I don't know how Mr. Sklansky can bear it being called a name by some anonymous, faceless person sitting miles and miles away from him in front of a computer.